thinkin of a lly into lb7 swap

Dee Perry

Jun 25, 2013
Got it running.

Finally got it running. 2 bad injectors. Love the swap. I am noticing quite a performance difference between the lb7 and the lly. The lb7 seemed to pull harder than the lly. The lly just does'nt put you back in the seat like the lb7 did. Going to try some tuning to see if we can get the kick back.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The LLY has more power, but it is quite a bit smoother. Swap out the turbo mouthpiece for an LBZ, get a better intake for it, and some mild tuning and you will definitely notice a BIG difference. just shutting the EGR off, re adjusting the MAF based fueling, and some timing changes will make the LLY run COMPLETELY different.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
What about just the heads and the vgt on the LB7 longblock? Is that even possible, or is the entire engine swap the only way. I have found wire diagrams for both engines I see similarities but not sure how splicing for me would go

Dee Perry

Jun 25, 2013
Thanks Fermanator. By intake, do you mean Air intake? Thanks for the help. Looking for the small upgrades till I recover from the motor upgrade. Lol

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Thanks Fermanator. By intake, do you mean Air intake? Thanks for the help. Looking for the small upgrades till I recover from the motor upgrade. Lol

Yes, the air intake. I did one for a hot shot driver here a few weeks back where all I did was block the EGR, swap out the airbox and tube for an LBZ, installed an LBZ mouthpiece, opened up the airbox area some to let in more outside air to the new LBZ box, and some mild tune changes. I added no fuel to it except to allow it to go to the full 100MM3 of fuel at WOT, set the timing at 50%, shut off the EGR, used the base file for the LBZ airbox, and loosened up the MAF based fueling. He couldn't believe the difference in how it ran. Stock it would take forever to respond to a WOT request, now it actually pulls out in traffic and gets out of it's own way. The LLY can run really strong with some basic changes.

cgower

Sep 13, 2015
ECU LLY for LB7 Swap

I hate to dredge up this old thread, but I need to ask a couple of questions. There are many statements that an 04 swap is the motor, FICM, and the ECU and you are good to go. However, I am ready to do this swap and reading if I swap the 05 ECU into the early 04 truck you have to get the ECU flashed to the new VIN. Is this correct, or is there a process that can be done to bring in that VIN?? Any help would be appreciated. I do not have an EFI Live. Is this something any of the Diesel shops around can do?? If so, how much should I expect to pay for it?? Let me know.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I hate to dredge up this old thread, but I need to ask a couple of questions. There are many statements that an 04 swap is the motor, FICM, and the ECU and you are good to go. However, I am ready to do this swap and reading if I swap the 05 ECU into the early 04 truck you have to get the ECU flashed to the new VIN. Is this correct, or is there a process that can be done to bring in that VIN?? Any help would be appreciated. I do not have an EFI Live. Is this something any of the Diesel shops around can do?? If so, how much should I expect to pay for it?? Let me know.

I can set you up with a custom tune to fix the fuel level gauge reading backwards.

Also can add extra power and DSP-5 switchable tuning if you want?

Ben

cgower

Sep 13, 2015
I saw the emergency relearn procedure I think is listed above. That should get me running. Will it run just like an out of the box LLY? If I was to use the tune, what kind of $$ are we talking about?? I am doing a real budget build here. It was my plan to use the LLY as is, without changing any thing as discussed in previous comments like the LB7 intake and Turbo etc. I was planning on using the pipe without the Emissions holes in it. Anything else I would need? Let me know.