The Rebuild, Ch. 1 "Parts list"

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just thinking out loud here, ok guys. Roni's nephew contacted me tonight and offered his assistance in my rebuild. He is a graduate of Lansing Community College's automotive program, and has unlimited access to their entire machine shop. He said that he can do all the engine work (main studs, decking, balancing, etc). He has also offered to help purchase parts at LCC's discount (which he does all the time for other engine builds). I figure we can start in January when he gets back to school.

Tyler told me to put together a list of needs and email it to him, and he can put together pricing and availability and start scheduling when we can do this. So, I need help putting together a parts list. If you know part numbers or can link me to them, itd be much appreciated.

I found Simon's gasket list http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5598 Is this pretty much complete? Is there a complete engine rebuild "kit" I should just look for?

Head gaskets (GM "C")
Rod bearings (Clevite CB1805H)
Main bearings (Clevite MS2218H)
New head bolts
Main studs
New flexplate bolts (97226126)
rings (?)

I know Im forgetting items. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
you are going with stock head bolts and not head studs? why?

Cause I run a stock turbo...35lbs max boost isnt going to lift the heads. Besides, thats $700 that can be used elsewhere.

Matt, it didnt blow, but the motor is getting disassembled and checked out since the rods shortened. LBZ rods are going back in.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Rear Main seal? (Part No. should be in Parts Section posted by Henry)

I'm pretty sure there is a complete gasket set for an overhaul that should have most, if not all, of the gaskets and seals you'll need. I wanna say Merchant verified that to me one when I inquired.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Duh. RockAuto is my friend.

Lower engine gasket set: CS26269
Upper engine gasket set: HSU26269
Headbolts: ES72199
Headgaskets: RH - 26274PT1, LH - 26273PT1

Damn. thats about $700 in gaskets. "Duramax diesel" really is a synonym for "gourmet"

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Rear Main seal? (Part No. should be in Parts Section posted by Henry)

I'm pretty sure there is a complete gasket set for an overhaul that should have most, if not all, of the gaskets and seals you'll need. I wanna say Merchant verified that to me one when I inquired.

The master seal kit is like 600 or 700 dollars and most of them are re-usable or siliconed on so its not needed in my opinion, Tom I have not needed any seals minus the mains , head gaskets , and am replacing a few o-rings on the water lines .

this is the list I would sugest

front main seal
rear main seal
head gaskets
injector coppers, o-rings , return line banjo seals , and cup o-rings .
main and rod bearings
main bolts or studs ( for your power i would skip studs I even skipped them )
fly wheel bolts
camshaft bolt
head studs ( even at low boost, I even put them on my tow truck)
piston rings
valve springs /check over heads
cant think of much else unless you find anything else when you tear down .

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I 2nd the studs.

Do it now while its out.... you KNOW the bug is going to hit for a turbo Tom!

Are you planning on a stock cut/coated piston?
I described to Ty what needs to be done to the pistons, and he says he can cut them, so we'll see.

and no...the turbo bug isnt going to hit me. At the most, Id PnP the stocker...at least thats the plan.

My 155,000 mile-, 2 years of racing abuse- head bolts didnt let go, so I feel head studs are overkill and not necessary in my application.

Last edited:

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
That sucks

now I am worried again nobody has blown a motor for a while I was beginning to think my setup is safe

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I described to Ty what needs to be done to the pistons, and he says he can cut them, so we'll see.

and no...the turbo bug isnt going to hit me. At the most, Id PnP the stocker...at least thats the plan.

My 155,000 mile-, 2 years of racing abuse- head bolts didnt let go, so I feel head studs are overkill and not necessary in my application.

i hope you're right tom

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
That sucks

now I am worried again nobody has blown a motor for a while I was beginning to think my setup is safe

I wouldnt worry about it. I was pushing it pretty hard this last year, and made one mistake.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Tom I would double check everything and those prices...IIRC I had about 450 dollars (including C head gaskets) in gaskets when I built my engine.

ben