TCM swap

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
So I'll try and be detailed as possible.. a couple weeks ago I was driving home and heard a rubbing noise sounded like my new tires were rubbing the valance so I paid no mind.. well come to find out it wasn't my tires it was my TCM now this is wreaking havoc on me.. truck is now stuck in 4th gear and won't come out.. shop I took it to pulled the pan and valve body. Cleaned it good and put a new shift solenoid in. No prevail. Now the shop is telling me I need a new TCM. What is the best way about replacing it? Go used? New? I was told that they can't find one that matches my truck perfectly? I'm at a lose for words on this thing and it's been two weeks of my truck being down.. please any insight helps.

2006 gmc w/ 215,xxx on the clock
Full delete with Idaho rob tunes

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Did the TCM drop into the fan? Was that the rubbing noise? You arent real clear on what caused that.

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
The TCM was rubbing against something (not sure what) and rubbed a hole through the metal cooling fins into the actual TCM housing. The code I got from my autocal was 0762. Sorry I wasn't very descriptive was getting flustered with the problem

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
The shop changed the solenoid, and cleaned the whole valve body nothing changed.

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
I noticed that before it locked into 4th gear, my fuel range would not come off of the instrument cluster even if I would set it to odometer it would switch back to range within a couple min

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the TCM had to have fallen into the pulleys/belt or fan.

Regardless, if it has cut through the cooling fins and gone through the housing, its time for a new TCM. i would make damn sure the wiring isnt hurt knowing the TCM has come loose. you may have yanked a wire loose of a connector, cut a wire or broke a wire inside the shielding if it was stressed enough

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
Right now we have a new TCM on order. Checking wiring through out the harness. Once we get a new TCM, it needs to be programmed then a trans relearn. Does that sound right?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Right now we have a new TCM on order. Checking wiring through out the harness. Once we get a new TCM, it needs to be programmed then a trans relearn. Does that sound right?

Yes. Also check all your fuses as you might have blown one.

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
Awesome, Anything else to look out for? This is why I am a member here! Give a terrible description of what is going on and get a solution to your problem, Thanks guys! :happy2: