Tank Size Question

LeRoy

Apr 26, 2012
I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I'll throw it in here.

I just bought a new (to me) 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 with the Duramax Diesel. When we took it on our first trip, I was very disapointed at how fast I ran out of fuel. I kept thinking, how could I be out of fuel already. I was under 1/4 tank, and and it took only about 17 gallons.

I later did a google to find out what size tank came on it, and everything I read showed 34 gallons for the diesel, 26 for the gas. So I thought that my gauges must be off, right?

Tonight I climbed under and inspected the tank. There is a sticker on it that says 26 gallons.

Would someone have swapped out the factory 34 for a 26? Why? Or was the 34 an addon option?

thneill

Whered all my $ go
Aug 23, 2011
East Texas
I just bought an 08. I hear that it depends on the bed. Short bed gets the 26 gallon tank and the long bed gets the 34 gallon tank. My gauge reads empty after about 15 gallons. Gets annoying.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You can rescale your gauge voltage with efilive to show it empty at a different level. Maybe your pick up broke off? Stock speaking though on 2006 and 07 forsure, the gauge shows 20 gallons and the empty light turns on with 6 gallons left.

thneill

Whered all my $ go
Aug 23, 2011
East Texas
Id definitely like to get it changed. Probably wont tune the truck for quite some time though. Gonna put some funds into the 02 first. Ill just have to live with it. Thanks for the info though.

LeRoy

Apr 26, 2012
So I've run it a few times until the light comes on, and then driven it a bit further. Every time, it takes at most 19 gallons, usually 18.something. This just doesn't seem right that I can't use 7 gallons (27%) of my fuel tank.

I'm going to have the truck into the dealer for something else, I'm going to have them look at this. The truck is under after market warranty, so hopefully there is an issue that is covered.

I will keep you posted?

LeRoy

Apr 26, 2012
It went into the shop on Friday and they had to replace the fuel level sensor. It was around $400 to replace, and covered by the extended warranty.

When I dropped it off at the shop it was on the line just above the red line. When I picked it up, it was on the line just over 1/4 tank.

I drove it around all weekend and finally the light came on. I drove another 5 or so miles, then got fuel. When filling the pump kicked off just under 23 gallons, and i was able to top it off adding another 1/2 a gallon.

Their fix got me back an additional 4+ gallons of my existing tank. I'm very happy that it was fixed and even happier that it was covered by the warranty and didn't cost me anything.

gkchevy

Jan 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Well I believe that I have the same problem. But it had not always been this way I don't believe. But I can be bone dry on the fuel Guage and I can only put in 21 gallons.
I know my sending unit has shown empty when the tank was full before. I would have to cycle the engine a few times or pull the battery cable and then it would read full. But that seemed to one day correct itself.

So do I need a new unit or do I need to reprogram?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
All CCSB trucks have 26 gallon tanks untill 2011, then they went to 36...

Most read empty at 18 to 21 gallons, If yours is acting up you most likely got some water in your fuel at one point. I had mine gong to empty if the truck sat still for a few minutes or so for years, I pulled the sender and cleaned it with clr and it worked like new. It had rust and white gel on it from water contaimination...

Last edited:

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
My gauge on my 04 CCSB fuel low light comes on when i put 16 gallon in it. I run out of fuel very quickly according to my gauge and i know it has to have a 26 gallon or so tank on it because of the manual in the glovebox stating it does. Does anyone know the specifics on how to rescale the gauge with EFI? I will be doing this myself.