Tailhousing replacement questions input

Newguy

Jul 31, 2023
New hampshire
So I’ll start this I’m not sure if I posted correctly… but I recently bought a 2007 lbz 4x4 and the tailhousing was destroyed. I bought as project. I replaced the housing and after install realized the tranny was junk before finishing. Lol bought a used trans and figured to replace the tailhousing since I just purchased their “upgraded” version. When I removed the housing the second time from the “new used” trans what I believe is the planetary gears came out with it with the washers and everything else in there… everything went back together exactly how it came out from what I can see and smoothly no seconds thoughts of anything till I start reading. Is there anything I could have screwed up bad with those gears or any special procedure or some sort of “timing” set for that be in? Trans was out of the truck of course facing up and took my time. More or less if everything was reassembled the way it came out will it be fine or is the sole kind of timing or set marks gears needed to be in lol thanks in advance.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Kind of lost me with which parts you were swapping, but there is no "timing". From what I understand, you did NOT remove the nut from the output shaft so the rear planetary came with it? You can throw it over to the other trans like that, just make sure the Torrington bearing stays in place. Check end play at the input shaft after its all together. Spec is .011" to .061"

If it were my trans, I would have taken the planetary out and left it. No point in swapping it over, especially since it's been worn in to a different set

Reactions: Newguy and 2004LB7

Newguy

Jul 31, 2023
New hampshire
sorry yes I removed the nut torqued to spec the only thing that was switched over was the tailhousing itself. The planetary gear came with it. The trans I’m going to use everything went back the same except the new housing.

Newguy

Jul 31, 2023
New hampshire
Just when I removed the old housing all the gears came with. Put everything back as they came reinstalled new housing and bolted everything in place no forcing at all everything went smooth just got nervous when the planetary came out and did some reading

Newguy

Jul 31, 2023
New hampshire
Ok so that bearing was 100% in my hands I reinstalled the same direction it came out? What should I do? Am I looking at problems now?.. trans is still out and readily serviceable if I need to

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
As long as the lip was pointing down then you're fine. Like I said, measure end play at the input shaft after its all together

Reactions: Newguy

Newguy

Jul 31, 2023
New hampshire
Just use what like a dial indicator ? Run out gauge ? I’ll measure that today and if all is good I’ll send results this weekend I’ll be putting the trans back in. I have new xdp cooler and aux cooler and fleece lines transgo shift kit and filters had to have a driveshaft built because the old trans blew up inside or something I found non magnetic chunks in my old cooler figured it was clutch plates or soemthing. That’s the reason for the new trans the tailhousing was wiped out of the old trans and figured it was still ok till I started to install and found all that in my cooler.