Sway Bar

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Why? What's the thought or reason for NOT using a swaybar when pulling?

you want the tires to follow the ground. our stock bars are stiff enough to limit that when one tire hits a bump. instead of the tire taking the hit, it will induce a bit of roll into the truck. that can make the truck unload that side more than it needs to and upset it. Im not saying a little hit will cause this big issue but its little things like that that can make the difference in a pull.

again, im no puller and have never pulled before but these are things i can see causing an issue based on how they work and how the truck is transfering load to the ass end, making the front end light. I also know, many of the big guys here have pics with no sway bar and i can very well see why :D

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
:eek:hgeez:
Lol, I'm an idiot, I didnt even think about the front bar. I was thinking of a rear bar like the one I added to my rig...your reasoning makes sense, I habe no experience pulling and no dog in this fight, but I would think that having a stiffer front bar would actually help the front end trac straighter and provide better bite/traction?

I know that adding the upgraded front bar actually settled the front end down when I do a boosted launch, but the principals at play are probably much different between pulling on dirt and running down a 1/4mi

So you're saying that with an upgraded front bar and adding a rear bar, I'm not set up to pull, then? Can you just disconnect the bar and tuck the ends out of the way?
:(

Not that I ever will sled pull with my rig :eek:

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
:eek:hgeez:
Lol, I'm an idiot, I didnt even think about the front bar. I was thinking of a rear bar like the one I added to my rig...your reasoning makes sense, I habe no experience pulling and no dog in this fight, but I would think that having a stiffer front bar would actually help the front end trac straighter and provide better bite/traction?

I know that adding the upgraded front bar actually settled the front end down when I do a boosted launch, but the principals at play are probably much different between pulling on dirt and running down a 1/4mi

So you're saying that with an upgraded front bar and adding a rear bar, I'm not set up to pull, then? Can you just disconnect the bar and tuck the ends out of the way?
:(

Not that I ever will sled pull with my rig :eek:

shock valving plays a much greater roll here and should be used for it. a sway bar is another spring to dampen when one tire moves and the other doesnt.

Im not saying it will pull like crap or you will have issues or any of that (i kinda stated that in my other post). all im saying is when it comes down to the last few inches of a pull, not having it "could" have made the difference (too many variables to say it will).

personally, just pull one link of one side of the truck and go pull. then reattach when you drive home if your a DD'er. that affectly eliminates the sway bar from messing with the suspension and the control arm should come no where near close to hitting it as you go down the track.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
shock valving plays a much greater roll here and should be used for it. a sway bar is another spring to dampen when one tire moves and the other doesnt.

Im not saying it will pull like crap or you will have issues or any of that (i kinda stated that in my other post). all im saying is when it comes down to the last few inches of a pull, not having it "could" have made the difference (too many variables to say it will).

personally, just pull one link of one side of the truck and go pull. then reattach when you drive home if your a DD'er. that affectly eliminates the sway bar from messing with the suspension and the control arm should come no where near close to hitting it as you go down the track.
Gotcha! Thanks for the input James :thumb:

Move that weight 60 inches ahead.

Well, since you brought up weight, the stock bar and end links weigh like 6lbs, and the Hellwig bar I run weighs about 60lbs and the end links are probably 8lbs a piece... So I suppose that's like hiding weight? Lol
:woott: