LLY: Sudden Extreme Overheating Symptoms

BUCKHNTR

GM Trucks and John Deere
Feb 19, 2015
Caledon, Ontario
Hey Guys,

Having some very recent issues with my LLY, which are likely user caused. History: Stock Trans, running Danville 68 Stg2R and PPEI Tuning. I've limped the trans probably a dozen times, however I know I have a very aggressive driving style. I typically see transmission temps in the mid 190s in very hot weather, and see temps as high as 220 when towing my 15,000# Gooseneck. This transmission cooler is an OEM Cooler, and has only be installed for around 20,000kms.

This weekend, I towed my gooseneck twice to two different truck pulls, and saw temperatures around 210-220 when it was towing up a long grade. Returned home, parked the truck and haven't driven it until Tuesday.

Cruising across a flat road, at 80km/h in my 40HP Tune Tuesday in 30 Degree Celsius weather, start seeing my transmission temps rising. Double check, converter is locked, no codes, transmission cruising in 5th gear. Everything else seems and drives fine. Transmission level is good. Driving along after 35 minutes of cruising, temperature peaks at 250 Degrees, and DIC Illuminates "Idle Engine to Cool Trans" or whatever the warning message is. Limp the truck home and now I'm unsure where to start. Doubt the Cooler is Plugged or Damaged, No Fluid Leaks, Converter is Locking. No Error Codes except P0218, "Transmission Fluid Over Temperature"

What would everyone recommend in terms of steps to test for issues? I doubt the cooler is the issue but will start there if its recommended. Otherwise, is there any internal issue within the transmission which could cause these symptons?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its a stock trans you limped many times.... what are you wanting from that poor trans?! its done. shit has started coming apart and most likely plugged the heat exchanger as well as probably plugged up your internal filter.

build it or your going to be in a world of hurt sooner than later.

BUCKHNTR

GM Trucks and John Deere
Feb 19, 2015
Caledon, Ontario
I'm totally prepared to build it, and I understand that it's beat and finished. It would just be a shame to rebuild and find out I have other issues. I'm just here wondering if there is a definitive test to make sure that this is the problem. Do I knock the filter off and spin a new one on, and clean the cooler and lines and see where I'm at?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
so you will be building it? are you using a kit from evan so you have his help?

i ask this because if you dont really know where to start diaging this thing now, how will you know what to do when you build the new one and something happens or it dont shift right? dont take this the wrong way, just coming right out with the hard questions

BUCKHNTR

GM Trucks and John Deere
Feb 19, 2015
Caledon, Ontario
I won't be building it myself. I have a best friend who is an Allison Tech, so we may build it, or else I'll order a complete crate transmission from DHD or Merchant. Being Canadian I don't have access to great shops within a local perimeter, and I'm not going to have someone inexperienced build my transmission.

No I won't be building it myself, I'm an LS guy through and through, and know little about transmissions at all. I am just looking for basic diagnosis help before I tear this down this winter and build from there. Believe me, I'm not tearing an Allison apart and building it myself.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
your overheating issue isnt a simple one. you need to pull the pan and internal filter. see whats laying the bottom of the pan and take pics after you drain it then post them. take a pic of the internal filter from the open end where you can see the filter media. then split the filter and open the media and take a pic. finally, pull the bottom cooler line to the heat exchanger in the radiator and take a pic of whats inside that hole.

i have a good feeling you are not going to like what you find and when you do build this trans, you need to find the hot flush machine that mike, josh, and many others use to clean your radiator cooler (normal ones dont do the job). otherwise you wont get everything out of there and the heat issue can come back.

BUCKHNTR

GM Trucks and John Deere
Feb 19, 2015
Caledon, Ontario
So assuming I go ahead and build this transmission this winter, I'd want it to be 800WHP Capable and either go with a good kit and have my best friend install it, or else order a crate transmission. Whose kit or complete trans does everyone recommend, obviously closer to Niagara Falls, NY the better for shipping costs. I'd want a transmission I'd be comfortable towing, drag racing and sled pulling with. Truck will remain stock fuel and stock turbo

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
So assuming I go ahead and build this transmission this winter, I'd want it to be 800WHP Capable and either go with a good kit and have my best friend install it, or else order a crate transmission. Whose kit or complete trans does everyone recommend, obviously closer to Niagara Falls, NY the better for shipping costs. I'd want a transmission I'd be comfortable towing, drag racing and sled pulling with. Truck will remain stock fuel and stock turbo

Talk to Evan on here

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You and your buddy are not capable of building a trans for 800 HP no matter what kit you use.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne

800hp on stock fuel and turbo?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
You and your buddy are not capable of building a trans for 800 HP no matter what kit you use.

Exactly ^^^^^^

Buy a built transmission from Mike or Evan and have it shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I wouldn’t mind going up there. If the offers good I’ll bring it to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Cant be stock turbo. You stated Danville 68.... stock fuel? Im new here and even i can tell you thats a pipe dream freind. On the other hand good luck with the build cant wait to read about it..............

BUCKHNTR

GM Trucks and John Deere
Feb 19, 2015
Caledon, Ontario
First, I understand I'm not making 800HP. I'm not an idiot. I'm making 600WHP maybe, at the most. However, if I decide to swap for S475 over my Danville 68, with dual fuelers and some sticks, I'd like to know my transmission is already capable. I'm not looking to do things twice. What's a quote then on a Trans, 5 Speed LLY Trans? From Evan or Mike? And shipping Estimate to get it to 14303 Niagara Falls

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
First, I understand I'm not making 800HP. I'm not an idiot. I'm making 600WHP maybe, at the most. However, if I decide to swap for S475 over my Danville 68, with dual fuelers and some sticks, I'd like to know my transmission is already capable. I'm not looking to do things twice. What's a quote then on a Trans, 5 Speed LLY Trans? From Evan or Mike? And shipping Estimate to get it to 14303 Niagara Falls

If your serious give both of them a call. Those guys don't mess around with chasing threads like this and sending PMs.

Plus calling them will help you decide who you feel more comfortable with and who you want to buy from. Both are great builders in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Mike is very capable but Evan will be a whole lot closer for shipping purposes. Maybe even drive to his shop and have him swap it out right there for you. Save the cost of shipping and any other fees.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

you are lucky if you are making 500rwhp right now with that trans.