Strange knock?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Driving the truck today and started to hear what sounded like and exhaust leak on the driver side manifold or uppipe. Went to an event called tha kshiving burnouts and started to do one. White smoke started pouring out from around the hood(smoke smelled like burning oil). Checked under the hood and it smells like fuel. Also. All injector balance rates were near zero except cyl 8 said 3.1. Any ideas?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I cant say about the knock but look for leaks with your turbo feed I have seen those make a great deal of smoke.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
Had a LLY at work one time for what sounded like an exhaust leak. Turned out #3 injector seals blew out, though the injector hold down was not broken. Not sure of the smoke, maybe a cracked injector or return line?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
And as far as fuel in oil I took the dipstick out and it doesn't seem to smell like fuel and the level didn't seem too high. The smoke it what really confuses me.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Also. It got worse as the day went on., which is why I thought I pushed the exhaust manifold gasket or uppipe gasket. The more o think about it o feel like an injector somehow got pushed out of the head. That would explain the noise, the fuel smell, and maybe the smoke if it was just pushing the fuel back out.

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
I just worked on an Lmm with these symptoms.....owner thought it was a manifold gasket. Turned out the copper sealing washer on the injector wasn't doing its job lol. The injector sucked to pull out cause it was so carboned up

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
Yeah everyone made fun of me because I couldn't get the injector out. I ended up using my slide hammer :thumb: the injector bore was nasty

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I hope thats all it is. I have a truck I can drive for the next couple days until I can meet up with Chris and have him take a look at it. By the time I get out of work its dark and I dont have a garage at my house. I drove it home yesterday but don't want to run it until I've got an idea what it is.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Chris swung by my house today and confirmed it was just the #8 injector seal. Should be back up and running tomorrow. I was thinking I'd need to start my engine build early but thankfully its not the case!

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
Chris swung by my house today and confirmed it was just the #8 injector seal. Should be back up and running tomorrow. I was thinking I'd need to start my engine build early but thankfully its not the case!
Sweet,oring fail? mine blew out when the injector loosened and lifted:thumb: