Strange cranking habits

Mike66

Jul 16, 2022
Hello,
I’m new to this forum and rather new to the world of diesel power. I purchased my 05 LLY about a year ago and have been smitten since the first turn of the key. It has 137K miles on it so I feel like there is a lot of life left. The previous owner put about $12K in mods and upgrades. Air bags, Kryptonite front end, Air Dog lift pump, EGR delete, etc.
Now to my current issue. I’d like to find out if my truck is just a diva or having a serious issue. It started about a month ago when I went out one morning to start it. It fired up just like always but after about 3-4 seconds it died. I fired it up again and it kept running like nothing was wrong. It continues to follow this same pattern but with a small twist. If I back it in my driveway and park so that the rear end is elevated higher than the front end then it will fire up and stay running right from the first start. However, if I park where the front is elevated higher than the rear then it shuts off after the first crank every time. Once it cranks and I hit the road there are no problems whatsoever. Runs like a scolded ape. No check engine light on and gauges are all reading normal. Has anyone in here experienced anything remotely similar to this?
I will certainly appreciate any and all help with this issue.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Welcome

sounds like an air leak in the fuel line. probably at the filter. make sure the lift pump is working and providing pressure before starting. may also be a cracked puckup tube in the tank that gets submerged at a different angle

Mike66

Jul 16, 2022
Thank you sir. I’ll start with the simplest and work my way out from there. I am a little curious about the tube in the fuel tank. Wondering what would cause that to crack; temperature, flexing, pressure, or just some random failure for no other reason?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
it's usually pretty random. flexing over the years, age, temperature all play a role

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
Welcome

sounds like an air leak in the fuel line. probably at the filter. make sure the lift pump is working and providing pressure before starting. may also be a cracked puckup tube in the tank that gets submerged at a different angle
What Jason said above, check function of the Airdog lift pump. You could get one of these to monitor fuel pressure https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050SG9KW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How long since the filters have been changed on the Airdog?