Strange Airdog behavior

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I got this AD 200 NIB from a member here. It caused loping and set fuel pressure codes even after changing the spring and adjusting the regulator. I pulled the fuse half the time and ran it the other half for performance.

A few months ago I noticed the fuse was blown. When I replaced it the pump sounded loud then blew a 20A fuse again. I left it dead not having time to troubleshoot.

Last weekend I got bad fuel :mad: and had to drain the tank. I tried the pump to prime the new fuel and it worked :confused: and sounded good too. (30A fuse was all I had left).

Now the pump is working AND it is not loping nor setting a code :confused:

What could cause the fuse to blow?

Did the regulator spring weaken over time?

If it is fubared, what is the chance of it sending metal to the factory filter?

Last edited:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I think Polaris7x is having problems with the 1 he got from Slammedlbz.His is blowing fuses and having problems also but he believes its the wiring harness

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I think i would at least call airdog/raptor and see what they think. Blowing fuses could also mean the pump is experiencing a high ammount of load, like an internal part causing a restriction to the mechanics of the pump....
Just my. 02

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Fuel pressure gauge would probably tell alot of the story. Definitely sounds strange.

It's on my list to get one of those Harbor Freight kits, soon :thumb:

I think Polaris7x is having problems with the 1 he got from Slammedlbz.His is blowing fuses and having problems also but he believes its the wiring harness

VERY interesting, that's who I got mine from. It did look brand new though.

I think i would at least call airdog/raptor and see what they think. Blowing fuses could also mean the pump is experiencing a high ammount of load, like an internal part causing a restriction to the mechanics of the pump....
Just my. 02

1lowdiesel (Kyle) works at Airdog and got in touch with me when I bought it and said he'd set up my warranty. I pm'd him 5 weeks ago and left a voice message at his work but I have not heard from him. I'm NOT starting a flamewar or pissed at him, it has literally only been one pm and one call.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Hope the warranty card was sent in..........if not they will most likely give a real hard time honoring the warranty.

My brother's broke not 3 months after we put it on, the Pump was eventually warrantied and when we swapped it out it was all burnt up inside.

:(

Kyle said I didn't need to send in the card, he'd take care of any warranty.

How can these cost almost $1000 and last only 3 months!?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
1000$???? My ad df 165 was only 685 new& shipped, and has been on for almost a year still works great, no blown fuses.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
The pumps second life only lasted a day. I'm initiating a warranty claim, I only got 3 months out of it :mad:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Mine went bad too and died the same death. My fuse went when I was in Florida for my wedding! I replaced it and made it home with the pump working. A week later it blew another fuse, but still worked. It finally stopped working in mid October. I got it warrantied and the new pump is much quieter. I believe I read something about a bad batch of seals allowing diesel to leak into the motor. Mine only lasted about 8 months.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The pumps second life only lasted a day. I'm initiating a warranty claim, I only got 3 months out of it :mad:
I was reading a thread over on CompD a couple of days ago, and Anthony from Air Dog said they had recently redesigned their pumps. After doing a lot of in house testing, they released them to the public, but once the pumps got out in the field, they ran into a problem with the pump seal leaking fuel into the motor and causing all kinds of problems. I bet that's what happened with yours. He said they have since found the problem and fixed it, but there were quite a few pumps that had the problem. As long as your warranty card was sent in or the pump is less than a year old, you have nothing to worry about.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Kyle said not to worry about the warranty card. I bought it NIB from a member on here and its been about a year I'll have to check the dates.

Out of all the mods I've done this one has been the worst for value.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I requested support online 2 days ago and got no response so I phoned today. I just got a call back from "Josh" and he is shipping me a replacement motor assembly!

Faith restored :thumb: I'm very pleased :):):):):):):)

LReiff

bad ground
Oct 2, 2010
AD200s are junk. I burnt 2 of them up.

As per Anthony from AirDog they are not meant for anything except competition use.

As far as I can tell, the problem with burning up motors lies within the entire unit design. The 200 gph unit uses the same filters, filter base and gear set as a 100. You do the math.

With the 2nd AD200 I tried I had an 8ga power wire from the battery to a relay which was mounted beside my AD200. The AD200 wired through a 20a fuse directly onto the relay and the ground wire went direct to the truck frame. I also made sure I had a very good ground connection between the batteries and the frame. I also had an amp gauge on it and the motor drew 19a right out of the box, living life on the edge of the 20a fuse.The stupid thing toasted the motor within 2500 miles.

I now have a home brew setup that's capable of delivering an actual 150 gph. and it's been working fine for the last 10,000+ miles, the motor draws around 12a.

For me breaking down along the side of a toll road while on a service call at 2am is not an option, waiting on warranty parts is also not an option.

Thank's alot AD!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive had mine for almost 40k now. its just a 165 adII and bought it in late 08, early 09. even sat for a year with bad diesel in it and still no probs. guess i should be knockin on wood :D

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio

Kyle said I didn't need to send in the card, he'd take care of any warranty.

How can these cost almost $1000 and last only 3 months!?

I only sold one of you guys a AD200 pump. I cant remeber if it was you or polaris7x but i got two of them from kyle brand new in the box. I put one on my truck and sold you or him the other one. Mine has been fine but only has 2,000 miles on it. Kyle told me DO NOT send in the warranty cards i already input the information for you and i relayed your info. to him for your warranty and if they will not warranty it we can run the warranty through my name since mine is warrantied maybe he put the warranty for both of them under my name?

Polaris7x

Dec 25, 2011
loves park, ill
I got the one from you slammed, guess i should have clarified what my issues where, and it had to deal with my fuse box itself, NOT the airdog, So i cleaned up some of the extra wires i had wired around and its been fine ever since and so its been runing for about 3000 miles so far so good. Sorry for the issues if any its caused anyone

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I think we are all good. I got a bad pump and Airdog is going good for the warranty so I'm fine with that.

I'd like the next one to give me years of service not months. There is no way I need 200 GPH (presently ;) ) and I never did get it to stop loping completely at idle. I asked if they could replace it with a smaller unit but have not heard back. If not I'll need to switch it manually or with a pressure switch.

Thanks for responding slammed, I don't know where 1lowdiesel is through all this but he did authorize my warranty and Airdog is going good.

I'll investigate for a seal failure when I swap out the new unit and update.

LReiff

bad ground
Oct 2, 2010
You will never get the lope to go away with an AD200 feeding the motor unless you add an external regulator.