stock motor issues

Polaris7x

Dec 25, 2011
loves park, ill
Short story my truck starting having what seemed like boost leaks or exhaust leaks, well got the tester for the turbo and tried to pressure test the system well i can barely get the system to 15lbs and with in 10-15 secs it all leaks out my pcv reroute hose. I plan on doing a comression test but after about a week since i put new turbo on new trans and new tuning it started falling on its face and just being real doggish and blowing smoke worse then a dodge. So I was told that either A. ive got a pinhole in a piston cause the pcv does have pretty good flow of air coming outta the hose causing the crankcase to fill with air or B. Ive got a partially warped head or a break in head gasket. So my question is have anyone else experienced this kind of voodoo?? Cause i mean truck still runs and i can still beat on it and after the turbo finally lights after 8 secs or so the truck takes off no problem.

Next question if I do have a bad piston what all do i need to do while the motors out? Im gonna put lb7 pistons in it and thats it. I no longer have the urge to have a built motor or any of that. I just want the truck to run right again. So can someone help out with some info thanks alot guys. Oh and by the way truck is an lbz with only 80k on it. S366 billet wheeled phat shafted turbo, suncoast trans, airdog 200 and stock everything else. Thanks guys:)

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There should be no doubt if you have a hole in a piston. You will likely have a lot of white/gray smoke at idle, and it will run very rough at idle and have a bunch of blow by out of the crank case breather and oil fill tube. You can also check balance rates to see which piston is causing the problem.

Polaris7x

Dec 25, 2011
loves park, ill
Yeah it's weird ive got no white smoke and it does haze blueish and truck runs fine at idle. All balance rates are 1.5 or lower so thats whats confusing

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
do your compression test and we will go from there. otherwise its like the old saying " 'I see!' says the blind man to the deaf dog".

Drew92

Aug 31, 2011
Does the truck have an EGR delete? Sounds like busted o-rings in the y-bridge (except for the blue smoke thing, idk about that). That is pretty common when the egr delete tube isn't installed properly. If you had a hole in the piston, you'd know. They pour oil out of every vent on the motor and 9x out of 10, the oil cap pops off.

Good luck.