LB7: Steering loud squeal when turning after being stopped

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good morning fellow dmax owners,

I own a 2002 and well I have a problem which I don't quite know what to check for. To start I have searched but couldn't really say that it was my issue. When driving at speed or most of the time for that matter my truck is acting perfectly fine. Once in a while when I am at a complete stop and I turn my steering either right or left abruptly (quickly) to turn I will hear a loud wooooonnnnnk which will be felt in the steering as vibration. The truck feels no different otherwise... that I can tell. No slack in the steering or anything. I do tend to slow down when it happens. I do have a little bit of a clunk when turning the steering back and forth but I really don't think the two are related. I am definetely more scared about the other noise as the little clunk is not a concern for me at this time... I have read stories about steering pumps, wheel bearings and steering shafts but what can it be! How can I check for each to narrow stuff down. I do have a torn boot on the upper passenger ball joint but that is it as far as I can tell.

christg

Mar 15, 2012
i had same problem. this spring i pay for replacing my leaking steering gearbox for a rebuild one at the local power steering shop. from that day every time i turned at low speed i hear noise and vibration on the steering wheel. after messing around with all the power steering shop mechanic at the town . they told me that the gearbox unit is the problem and cant build pressure like supposed and create air in the system that made the pump noise and vibration. they change the rebuild power steering Gearbox for another one and the problem is now gone.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
does it have power steering fluid in it? check that first. what size tires are you running?