Steering gear leak

jojo

Dec 12, 2013
Southern California
My steering gear has a leak at the steering shaft. I understand seals are $20. Are steering gear seals difficult to install, or is a rebuilt steering gear box just plain easier to install and get it over with?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Just put a reman gear on it.. You can try and reseal it but it'll probably leak worse when your done

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I just had mine start leaking on the my pulling truck. I bought the wrong oring kit (found out on dissembly) but I looked and saw my seal to be fine! Idk how, but it seemed like it was just loose. I tightened up it up and it hasn't leaked anymore. Keep in mind I wasn't worried about preloading torque as all I care about was dry, not performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
No offense to anyone about steering gears but I've replaced probably 20 this year on various trucks and never had an issue.. Don't think I've warrantied a single one. Just orilley house brand.

jojo

Dec 12, 2013
Southern California
I've read about reman steering box issues. Also, I couldn't help notice that the core charge at rock auto is more than the reman gear itself. I believe the price of the reman is $205, and core is $215.

Would it be a 32 or a 33 spline?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you purchase a remanufactured/rebuilt steering gear hold onto your original (pay the core charge if you can) till you're absolutely sure the replacement is up to snuff. Search for one on craigslist if you have the time and send it...
How/why do you keep quoting yourself in your post? :confused:
No offense to anyone about steering gears but I've replaced probably 20 this year on various trucks and never had an issue.. Don't think I've warrantied a single one. Just orilley house brand.
If the tire size is stock-ish, any gearbox will work. Not so much if you run large tires and beat on the truck (low tire pressure, scrubbing the tires when stopped, hard off-roading, and 4x4 launches; sometimes all at once :woott:). I've been through 4 steering gears on my truck so far. 1 OEM, 2 O'Reilly, and finally swapped to a Red Head. 14k miles on the Red Head, which is 10k more than I got off the O'Reilly on the same setup. Hopefully I can get 50k out of this box.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
ACDelco is usually good stuff, as they are the OEM of a lot of the parts on the truck. If your tire size is stock, you can probably get away with just about any brand reman, but like Mike said, I would hold on to your original until you know the new one works right. Most places give you 30 days to send in the core.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
i've read about reman steering box issues. Also, i couldn't help notice that the core charge at rock auto is more than the reman gear itself. I believe the price of the reman is $205, and core is $215.

Would it be a 32 or a 33 spline?

3 spline, meaning 3 splines for locating as opposed the 4 spline locating. Let me count them as i have a core in garage, one of the first things i went searching for after i bought the truck. Paid $50.00 for a about a 100,000 mile non leaking core off a 2500hd gasser with a utility bed. Not gonna exchange it for a core but have it rebuilt locally and still keep my oem unit...

Edit: 33 spline for the 3 locating splines on the one i have (11 slines in between each larger locating spline 2500hd never bothered to count till now.) so i assume the 32 would be for the 4 locating spline steering gears.

Last edited: