Help: Steering box/ intermediate shaft problem

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
ive got a bunch of slack in my steering the last couple days, im guessing its the shaft or the box. in 2wd, on gravel cover paventment, in kind of jumps like its in 4wd.

is there something that needs to be tightened or replaced?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Check your pitman arm! (The arm that goes from the steering box to the center link.)

I've broken 2 of them to date, and when they break, you loose all steering!! Which is something you very much want to avoid.

Also, if it is wearing out, DON'T GET THE CHEAP ONE from O'Reilly Auto Parts... The factory one made it 250k, the O'Reilly one made it 27k of the same style driving... So I'd recommend shelling out for a name brand at least, if not the OEM part.

If it ISN'T your pitman arm, and you have a friend you can bug for 10 minutes, there is an an easy way to find out what it is. Simply crawl under the front of your truck, and have the friend rock the steering wheel back and forth within the slop. You can usually feel where the slop ends, or have them watch the front tire while doing it and turn just enough it doesn't move. Then you can easily see where the motion stops in the steering system, and that's your bad part!

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Check your pitman arm! (The arm that goes from the steering box to the center link.)

I've broken 2 of them to date, and when they break, you loose all steering!! Which is something you very much want to avoid.

Also, if it is wearing out, DON'T GET THE CHEAP ONE from O'Reilly Auto Parts... The factory one made it 250k, the O'Reilly one made it 27k of the same style driving... So I'd recommend shelling out for a name brand at least, if not the OEM part.

If it ISN'T your pitman arm, and you have a friend you can bug for 10 minutes, there is an an easy way to find out what it is. Simply crawl under the front of your truck, and have the friend rock the steering wheel back and forth within the slop. You can usually feel where the slop ends, or have them watch the front tire while doing it and turn just enough it doesn't move. Then you can easily see where the motion stops in the steering system, and that's your bad part!

cool, thanks for the help. ill pull it back in the shop here in a bit. earlier, i could twist the shaft by hand, until it hit the point where it was a bout to turn the wheels. would you think that maybe the splines could be gettin worn out?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Probably your box then, I just learned of a good replacement tonight because i need a couple myself...redhead steering I guess is making replacements.

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Hmm. Ill probly replace the shaft while ill have it apart. A guy ino said you might be able to tighten some bolt on the box that might tighten it up. Im going to pull it in the shop
In the morning and check it out. Thanks for the help.