starter engages on its own while engine is running

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
this is on the 1999 Express van, 5.7.:eek:

Idleing it while I loaded up some supplies for the days work yesterday morning. All of a sudden the starter engaged and wouldnt stop!

Shut the van off.

Turn the key to the run position and the starter engages.

Pulled the starter relay in the under hood fuse box.
turned the key to run.
put relay back in.
starter engages.

So for now I pulled the relay.
Ran 2 wires to a switch inside the van.

Now I turn the key to run.
flip my switch.
starter engages and van starts, flip the switch back.
this will get me by until I find the problem

So where do I look, ignition switch in the column?

edit - did try swapping relays, still did the same thing so I think the relay itself is ok

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya I would go with a bad ignition switch I think. Or something between the control wire for the relay and the ignition switch giving it power when it shouldn't, but more likely it is the switch

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
thanks

I wanted to swap the whole column from my parts van anyway. its got tilt & cruise and the 99 doesnt. guess it just moved up on the todo list.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
anyone know if I replace the ignition switch,

is it tied in with the anti-theft system and some kind of reprogram is going to be needed?

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
yeah, if its like the older GMs. its just a spring loaded button controlled by a rod that comes off lock. Its the lock that detects the key's chip.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The anti-theft is part of the lock assembly. The switch is bolted along the steering shaft.

no...IIRC thats only on the old pre-95 style GM columns...that setup with the switch at the base of the column and the push rods going up to the lock cylinder

95+ have the ignition switch "right there" at the lock cylinder (like it should be)

ben

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
no...IIRC thats only on the old pre-95 style GM columns...that setup with the switch at the base of the column and the push rods going up to the lock cylinder

95+ have the ignition switch "right there" at the lock cylinder (like it should be)

ben

I didnt see any rod thingy on the parts van. so i think you are correct on that. but i shouldnt need any reprograming if I just swap the switch right?

the plan is to swap the switch, make sure it fixes the problem, then swap the whole column but keep the same key.