Stainless Diesel 5 blades...

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
I know that SD is big in the Cummins market but has anyone had experience with their 5 blade design?

They claim lower EGT's as well as big power, I believe they claim that they're ridiculously loud as well.

I'm in the market for a 467.7 and they offer one with a 5 blade. I for one don't know if a 5 blade wheel is worth an extra few hundred bones..

Thoughts?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Just remember that the five blades may flow more up top but may not flow as well at low shaft speeds as the other blade designs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
We have one on our pulling truck. It made good power but lasted 2 pulls and needed some replacement parts. I have driven a truck with a cast wheel 467.7 and it drove awesome. Much cheaper than an fmw.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I too am interested to hear from more guys running them. I'm in the market for a new 2.5 pulling charger this season. And I've heard a lot if guys swear by them..but I've talked to a company that said they put all their 2.5 and 2.6 titles up against them..

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Just remember that the five blades may flow more up top but may not flow as well at low shaft speeds as the other blade designs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

100 percent correct! I'm not sure about stainless diesel turbo, no experience with them personally. I think they had some good running trucks in 2014 season though

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
The 5blade was designed around the idea of compound setups, compounds actually operate in slower shaft speed conditions this being said the SD 5blade actually carries higher shaft speeds than other wheels out there, many competitors claim exactly what is said here "that they flow less at x level" wrong. The 5 blade carries and comes into transient boost faster and easier. That's a bad sales pitch.
After a lot of testing it was found that they work exceptionally well as singles also.

The 5 blade 2.5 had many wins all across the country including several points championships. This charge is Mark Broviaks choice of 2.5 when it comes to itpa,COTPC, and several other place rules. With hours on hours logged on the Dyno at Danville it has proved itself time and time again. Along with a lot of other Dyno tuning shops across the several state area here in the heart of pulling country.

As a standard street driving charger they drive amazing, a high the loudest whistle you've ever heard from the s3/s4 platform.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I ran a stock cast wheel, a billet 11 blade and now a 6 blade. All across the board the 6 blade seems way better. Maybe the light weight helps spooling? I dont know. Is a lot louder also.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
As Trevor said, the 5 blade 2.5 is my charger of choice because nothing else has done a better job on my engine dyno. I haven't gotten to drive one on the street yet so I can't answer that for you. The way they dyno I can only guess that they drive awesome on the street!:thumb: They are stupid loud also!

stealthy_max

Jan 10, 2015
Midwest
As Trevor said, the 5 blade 2.5 is my charger of choice because nothing else has done a better job on my engine dyno. I haven't gotten to drive one on the street yet so I can't answer that for you. The way they dyno I can only guess that they drive awesome on the street!:thumb: They are stupid loud also!

That they are!

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Last time I contacted them about buying one, they wanted an arm and a leg for one and they also wouldn't sell the "install tool" that apparently is needed. I didn't want a wheel change to turn Into a $1500 ordeal.

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
Last time I contacted them about buying one, they wanted an arm and a leg for one and they also wouldn't sell the "install tool" that apparently is needed. I didn't want a wheel change to turn Into a $1500 ordeal.

As the nut is intergraded into the wheel it takes a special install tool to do so, without damaging the wheel. The cost of the tool would be more than the wheel itself.

Also its best to be assembly balanced when installed, as is done when the turbo is sent in for the upgrade.

Retail is $499 for the upgrade.

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
As the nut is intergraded into the wheel it takes a special install tool to do so, without damaging the wheel. The cost of the tool would be more than the wheel itself.

Also its best to be assembly balanced when installed, as is done when the turbo is sent in for the upgrade.

Retail is $499 for the upgrade.

So for $500 one could send a regular 67.7 FMW in and have the wheel upgraded then balanced?

Plus shipping costs obviously