LBZ: Sputtering

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
I've been getting a sputtering at random intervals. Its happened a total of maybe 5 times in 2 years. At first, it only did it at idle. It idles rough and feels like its missing. Its got a noticeable lope to it and thats what initially caught my attention.

This morning I started it up and it was loping at idle but not like a big cam lope, more of a series of short lopes that seem to be effected by rpms. I'm running Hypertech 90 and just recently detuned from PPE 225. Its done this with the Predator as well and now for the first time with Hypertech. This leads me to believe that its not the tune, even know I've found several flaws in Hypertech's tunes.

I'm not hard on this truck and I'm at 45k miles. I recently switched to Amsoil so I'm not sure WTF is going on. This afternoon, it was sputtering as I was driving it after it had been sitting all day long. It went away after 170 degrees or so. It runs great and has excellent power but something is off.

My fuel filter isnt that old with maybe 7-8000 miles on it. Its gonna be due here in a month or so. I have a functioning EGR valve (1st one failed and was warranty replaced), no cat and no CEL or stored codes.

Anyone know if there's a TSB for this or whats causing it?

Last edited:

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
being a once in a great while thing it might be hard to find. the fast lope at idle is usually the result of to much fuel at idle. If extra pressure or PW is added at idle it will make a fast lope. Maybe someone with a little more LBZ knowledge will pipe in;)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
hmmmm....sounds like a blown engine, in my own opinion. :D

just kidding bud, but seriously I would try changing the fuel filter first. All it takes is one bad tank of fuel to clog up the fuel filter, and thats a VERY likely possibility over 8,000 miles...Give me a call if you have a minute...im sure we can figure something out

Last edited:

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
just kidding bud, but seriously I would try changing the fuel filter first. All it takes is one bad tank of fuel to clog up the fuel filter, and thats a VERY likely possibility over 8,000 miles...

:imo

I'd say try logging rail pressure but that's kinda hard without EFIlive.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Although when I was tuning my buddies truck it had a lope at idle, but that was for a different reason :rofl:

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
Truck is stock, minus the intake, exhaust and tune. Everything's listed in my sig.

I'm running Hyperpac's live data so I can log my rail pressure so you dont necessarily need EFI live. I'll check it out. Thanks for the replies.