Sporting clays

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
On vacation in Houston visiting a friend, we went n shot sporting clays at a range right on the edge of Houston n katy. This was my first time shooting sporting clays and first time at a range (all previous experience was out hunting). We did a 50-shot round at 10 stations. I hit 34/50. I didn't think that was terrible for my first time at it and with a gun I'd never shot to boot. My friends not real good either n his previous best was 33 but hit 37 the day we went. My wife was with us n so I think it was a subconscious strut for us to impress the girl. LOL

Anyways, it was a blast n got me wanting a new scatter gun again. His was a real nice beretta atica? Semi auto beretta. All I know is it shot a LOT better than my heavy, sloppy, recoil hammering cheap ass S&W semiauto shotgun!

Just thought I'd share! Looked for trucks while n the area but they were few n far between n the city, which is rediculously huge btw.

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
I used to shoot a lot of trap and skeet. Once I tried sporting clays, it was hard to go back to trap and skeet. Sporting clays are much more fun in my mind. We shoot 10 shots at each station at 10 stations. The places that I used to go could also mix up the stations. There were probably three ways to shoot each station. They could mix up where the threw from. So the stations were always changing, which keeps you on your toes. Definitely fun.

Oh and low score always had to buy the first round at the bar.....

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
We had a tournament a few weeks ago at the club and they had something simmilar but slightly different. if you shot a clay and it exploded with pink dust you got a special prize and if you shot one and it dusted yellow you also got a prize. it made the game a little more interesting and made you shoot your best.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Yes, sporting clays seems a good bit more fun to me than skeet and I'm still not sure the difference in trap and skeet. :D

So how good do you all shoot?

To the guy that shot all day, god bless your poor shoulder. Maybe I'm soft but I was tender the next day. If I shot a lot or even more regularly, I'd hafta do something about the amount of felt recoil!! :baby:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've shot trap and skeet before, but never sporting clays.

I have a Beretta AL391 Urika, and I love it. I need to get out and use it more though.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'm 99 % sure that's what my friend's gun I was shooting is Josh. And yes, it was real nice.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting some 3" hot loads for next time out... that'll help with hitting more right? Probably be easier on the shoulder too, huh? :rofl:

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
Sporting clays are great fun. It`s been a couple of years since the last time I went out, but where I went, besides the 10 stations thru out the property, up by the lodge there is a 5 stand. Each team member shoots from each station, and as a finale, there is a barrage of targets coming from each and every station all at the same time. A guy can hardly keep up with reloading. What a great time!! I use my Beretta S687L over/under.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
trap i average 24/25 and skeet i am averaging 23/25 five stand i am around 20/25
and i will be trying sporting clays here very soon :happy2:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
pardon my ignorance but can someone post a quick n dirty difference between the different clay target shooting ways - sporting clays, skeet, trap, etc. If not, I guess yall are gonna force me to search the web. :joker:

C-ya

hoffman199

May 14, 2009
I think with all of this talk about sporting clays im gonna have to dust off the ole perazzi and go burn some powder tomorrow. California school system being as great as it is has blessed me with a furlough day tomorrow. Bring on the tought ones

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Easier than typing it all out.

Basically.......

Trapshooting:
[YOUTUBE]kJapNb9QT-4[/YOUTUBE]

Skeet:
[YOUTUBE]47cPDcmf8mk[/YOUTUBE]

Sporting Clays:

[YOUTUBE]NQYl8InFOOw[/YOUTUBE]

5 stand:
[YOUTUBE]Dq8JBt1Yvb4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
think of sproting clays like shot gun golf
five stand is a small version of sporting clays
trap you are always chasing the bird
and skeet you are shooting from many different angles with doubbles

short and to the point:D

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
Any body on here who is around the charlotte NC area let me know we will be shooting clay friday and sunday at Charlotte Rifle and Pistol.

Let me know if you want to meet up:thumb: