LMM: Somethings not right (Knock and a Bird chirp noise)

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Injector rates looked good so i wouldent think it was a cracked piston. could mabey be a rod knock but i doubt that to :confused: next step i guess is to do a visual inspect on the turbo. let me know if you need anything mike

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Injector rates looked good so i wouldent think it was a cracked piston. could mabey be a rod knock but i doubt that to :confused: next step i guess is to do a visual inspect on the turbo. let me know if you need anything mike

Gonna look at turbo tomorrow, cruise the mustang for a day lol.

I Now know there is a very bad sound coming from the turbo, grinding kinda.

before any inspection I am gonna say Bearing right now, thats exactly what it sounds like.

Also is it possible for oil to leave the engine via the turbo? I let the truck sit, checked oil again and it now is low.

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Hows it look under the truck? Does the gt4094 use the same oil feed under the turbo or did you tap in next to the oil filter housing? Any oil down their? Anyway, does sound like its junk. Was the turbo where all the noise was from or is the engine still nocking?? With all the electronics on the LMM could a bad turbo have messed up/fooled with the tuning on ecm and caused a knock?? Maybe??? I dont know much bout the lmm. Oil so low engine is knocking?

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Mike give this a shot too...

Take your old one of and cut it open (in a manor that wont comtaminate the results like a filter cutter is best) you can can jab a hole in it and cut it with some metal snips. Then spread the filter pleats and use a light and see if theres any metalic specks of flakes in there. This is one of the best quick ways to see if theres any severe damage goin on in there. Keep us posted! I hope its nothin major:(

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I hope you get everything sorted Mike. You taking it to Chads? Grinding could be a smoked bearing or something causing play so the fins are contacting the housing. Do you notice any smell of metal on metal like when a big turbo lets go at the track? Keep us posted.

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
Got your message this morning Mike, all of that boot popping may have over-sped the turbo to death. I'll be around this afternoon, call if you need anything.

Nick

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
It's a ball bearing charger though.. they will handle some serious RPM before popping.. Does it have side play... enough to hit the housing ? Let me know if you need help.

Brayden

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Look at your tailpipe and/or wipe a rag in it to see if it picks up any oil. When my turbo went down it dumped oil out the tail pipe... Sorry this maybe a little late.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Well im gonna be in vegas this weekend mike i can take a look at her if I get some time.