Sold my truck in CO straight piped, new owner wants me to pay for smog situation

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Sold my 05 lly and it was straight piped, they knew it was and had no problem.. Now tho they're having their mechanic bugging me saying it has to be smogged... Well ya I knew that..

Anyway, I'm from Cali so I don't know the cooorado rules but I told them I would give them the muffler cat and down pipe but they're telling me I need to pay tk have it all put on via CO law that I have to sell a vehicle that can pass emissions... Is that correct? I sold the truck to them "as is" seeing as hkw it's a used truck yada yada, I have my smog certificate from 6 months ago but idk where I need to go with this, any help or input is appreciated...

Taylor..

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Well that's what I thought too, this joke of a mechanic is really starting to make me mad, yellig the new owner and myself that my turbo is running at 40-45 pounds of boost via is estimate from driving it PFFT and said it's against the law to sell a vehicle in co that cannot pass emmissions, how am I supposed to know if it will pass or not I'm not a stinking tech

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You might have to sell it to pass emissions if it wasn't a private sale BUT if you clearly sold it "as is" then I don't believe they have a legal right. It's not like you tried to hide it and the buyer cannot use ignorance as a defense.

Offer them a bag a weed to settle up. :D

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
You're fine. It is their responsibility.

Not all counties in colorado even require an emissions test...:)

An E test (or guarantee that it will pass) isn't required in colorado in private party transactions, only from dealers. It is only required that the owner provides proof of test being passed before they can register it.

Tell him to suck it easy.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You're fine. It is their responsibility.

Not all counties in colorado even require an emissions test...:)

An E test (or guarantee that it will pass) isn't required in colorado in private party transactions, only from dealers. It is only required that the owner provides proof of test being passed before they can register it.

Tell him to suck it easy.

That sounds right!

Here in CT for example if a vehicle is sold you turn over the current emission test document to the new owner. If it needs to go to be tested then it is the buyers responsibility to pay for the test and do any repairs.

All out of state vehicles sold need to have the smog test done if not exempt and vin check completed prior to being registered. I'm sure CO is the same .

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
They're telling me the as is only stands for safety concerns and the emissions is a federal offense to tamper w/ and that I am obligated to have it fixed or give full reimbursement?

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
The egr was still turned off when I sold it to em and they want me to pay the dealership to tune it back to stock because they don't trust me if I put the stock tune back in...

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
I'm gonna read in a few minutes at lunch but current as in I got my truck emissions tested/inspected in about December and it's good for one year so that means current right? Sorry new to the co laws :D

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
I'm gonna read in a few minutes at lunch but current as in I got my truck emissions tested/inspected in about December and it's good for one year so that means current right? Sorry new to the co laws :D

The slips I have in my desk drawer all say 180 days except the LBZ's says 1 year... It may depend on county. My shit is all registered in Douglas county. Call a testing center to confirm.

Locations:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1186648384016

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
It says in the private party section the seller is required to supply a passing emmissions certificate... So basically I am boned into having to pay for the work to get it to pass..? :/

Sooo anybody have a cheap muffler shop around Denver :D

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I know this doesn't apply to this situation, but if you had sold it inside of Ca you'd be liable for fixing all of it. That's a pretty recent change to the law here.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
It says in the private party section the seller is required to supply a passing emmissions certificate... So basically I am boned into having to pay for the work to get it to pass..? :/

I don't think that can apply to out of state sales, how could you supply a emissions cert if you're not from that state.