So, Why Oval?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Just off the phone with a previous customer. His 3 year old ovals are going into their 3rd block with new rings. They have some surface pitting, but otherwise are in good shape.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've got a customer with an Lmm with 20 over 15.5:1 ovals, some other mild things, stock fuel. Averages same economy as it did stock deleted. He has about 30k on his now towing heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Glad you commented Jon. Sorry that dick gnat spews more hot air than a 90 y.o. with the walking farts.

I assume that thread was locked and you weren't able to school/educate him in his thread because he was bashing you, a supporting vendor, while he's not a supporting vendor? Or were other posts deleted prior to it being locked?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It was closed because it went sideways very fast and we were trying to avoid a train wreck again. Believe me when I say he's on thin ice.
As far as the ovals go anyone that follows this forum knows the reasoning behind them. They are a great idea and seem to be working as designed.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

trailler2004

Jan 14, 2013
Jon
I have beat the living f#%k outa mine all summer
200% injectors and decent set of twins
I will be pulling them out somtime this winter to see what my blow by issue is
Not sure if the rings didn't seat or what
Will let u know what we find

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
What he is saying goes against not only the oval piston design but cylinder head design as we'll. We all know flat positions do NOT promote swirl. If they did diesel cylinder heads wouldn't be flat. And to say ovals were not engineers around combustion dynamics is insane! Sure fuel is more exposed in a flat piston design design but that doesn't mean fuel will burn completely. I'm gonna leave it to that before I get more POd!:mad:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
What he is saying goes against not only the oval piston design but cylinder head design as we'll. We all know flat positions do NOT promote swirl. If they did diesel cylinder heads wouldn't be flat. And to say ovals were not engineers around combustion dynamics is insane! Sure fuel is more exposed in a flat piston design design but that doesn't mean fuel will burn completely. I'm gonna leave it to that before I get more POd!:mad:
Out of curiosity , do you know why diesel heads are flat?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I knew why but the person I quoted left me to believe maybe he doesn't completely understand why diesel heads are flat and why they would not work very good if they had combustion chambers in the heads. I didn't want to be a smart ass about any of it. That's why I posed the question.

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
I knew why but the person I quoted left me to believe maybe he doesn't completely understand why diesel heads are flat and why they would not work very good if they had combustion chambers in the heads. I didn't want to be a smart ass about any of it. That's why I posed the question.

We have ran a diesel engine at work with flat pistons and bowls in the head..

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
We have ran a diesel engine at work with flat pistons and bowls in the head..
I didn't say it's impossible. It's inefficient and problematic. Gas engines atomize fuel in the runners or throttle bodies. Common rail Diesels are direct injected into the cylinder. Atomization occurs from pressures of the fuel and minimal from piston design.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I didn't say it's impossible. It's inefficient and problematic. Gas engines atomize fuel in the runners or throttle bodies. Common rail Diesels are direct injected into the cylinder. Atomization occurs from pressures of the fuel and minimal from piston design.

Exactly the point! Having a flat top piston gives the same results, inefficiency. Let alone having both piston and head flat....

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Exactly the point! Having a flat top piston gives the same results, inefficiency. Let alone having both piston and head flat....
There is a point at which that is true. The shallower bowl is better than a deep bowl. The less shallow you go the bigger and flatter the bowl becomes. Some crown in the bottom of the bowl should occur but I don't beleive there is enough testing to show at what point you become the most efficient that you can get. It would be wonderful if that occurred but the test subjects required to prove such theories just won't happen.