LB7: Snowball effect with glowplugs

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I decided not to mess with it today. Ran the truck around to see how hot I could get it, only got to 180* after doing a hard highway sprint. Im going to keep spraying the plugs a couple times a day.
Ill keep you all posted.

TimAT

Aug 26, 2010
Try spraying them with Hoppe's Gun Solvent. I've had success using that when PB, Kroil and everything else failed. Smells nice too.

macs

Nov 7, 2010
Don't forget Acetone/Transmission fluid mixed 50/50. Has worked wonders on old tractors sitting in the field for decades.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Don't forget Acetone/Transmission fluid mixed 50/50. Has worked wonders on old tractors sitting in the field for decades.

I have been using that, just a PIA with having to keep putting it back in metal cans so it doesn't melt the plastic spray bottles

macs

Nov 7, 2010
Actually, the quart size, lab style squeeze bottles work good for this mixture without melting the plastic. That's what I use.

CenCalOilBurnin

Nov 25, 2015
If I'm reading this correctly, it is safe to drive with the top part snapped off? I snapped my #1 today and am worried the electrode will fall into the compression chamber. The electrode slides in the top part, so I'm worried it will slide out of the remainder of the GP that's left.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
My nut buster, PBlaster days are over after I purchased on of these, 50/50 mix acetone and transmission fluid no problems sitting the 2 months, purchased on fleabay. It might slip into the combustion chamber, reexamine the picture I posted on another site.

Last edited:

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
impossible for it to fall through, the opening where it pokes inside the cylinder is just big enough for the tip.

CenCalOilBurnin

Nov 25, 2015
impossible for it to fall through, the opening where it pokes inside the cylinder is just big enough for the tip.

I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but isn't the electrode the same thickness all the way through? Just to clarify I'm talking about the thin bar that passes through the middle of the GP.

Thanks again all
Steve

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I just cut one off at about the point yours broke, appears their is some type of die-electric compound holding the electrode to the barrel. I also clamped it in vise and hit it with hammer and punch numerous times, no go, and doubt driving the truck it will fall into the cylinder...

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I just cut one off at about the point yours broke, appears their is some type of die-electric compound holding the electrode to the barrel. I also clamped it in vise and hit it with hammer and punch numerous times, no go, and doubt driving the truck it will fall into the cylinder...

This^

If anything it'll blow it out. I had to get one cherry red hot with a torch to pul the electrode out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CenCalOilBurnin

Nov 25, 2015

This^

If anything it'll blow it out. I had to get one cherry red hot with a torch to pul the electrode out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thank all of you for your responses! I will fire the thing up and see what happens.

Added a few pics just for reference...:thumb: I'm guessing the drill and tap is my next move??

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2132.jpg
    IMG_2132.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Whatever you do, DON'T plug the hole on the head. You should be safe to fire it up, so long as nothing plugs the hole. I had some break off way down deep so it was basically just the tip left. Drove it for years, and figured it was there for good. Finally put a plug in the glow plug hole so it wouldn't get water in it. About a year later, the tip came loose, blew out of the head, hit the plug, bounced around, and got sucked back into the cylinder. It destroyed the piston and head :(

If I had covered the glow plug hole with tape or something, I'd have saved myself a lot of money...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

CenCalOilBurnin

Nov 25, 2015
So I noticed there were some thread shavings still in there. I cleaned those up, put some PB down in there, fired it up and BOOM!! No more glow plug. I unfortunately didn't drape a towel over it, so now I can't find the dang thing. Lol. Well that's enough work for today. Tomorrow I'll clean up the threads and put the new one in. Hope ya'lls day is as good as mine!

CenCalOilBurnin

Nov 25, 2015
Whatever you do, DON'T plug the hole on the head. You should be safe to fire it up, so long as nothing plugs the hole. I had some break off way down deep so it was basically just the tip left. Drove it for years, and figured it was there for good. Finally put a plug in the glow plug hole so it wouldn't get water in it. About a year later, the tip came loose, blew out of the head, hit the plug, bounced around, and got sucked back into the cylinder. It destroyed the piston and head :(

If I had covered the glow plug hole with tape or something, I'd have saved myself a lot of money...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Oh man. I was actually thinking about doing that too, because I was losing all kinds of compression. Good to know.