Snow or Painless??

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Tossing around the Water/Meth idea again. I'm looking at either the boost/EGT referenced Snow Stage 3 or the Painless Coldshot Striker II.
I'm looking for input from anyone who is running either of these or has ran them. Pros/Cons?

I like the snow for the egt referenced system, but the price is much better for the painless coldshot II.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
i have the snow stage 3 mpg/max.

performs exactly as described.

I really like it. I do wish it was a little easier/faster to switch between egt and boost mode. something like a simple toggle switch would be great.

you can turn it on a watch your egts come down towing or empty.

I've got a few threads at the place (same user name) about my usage and results. sorry, on the phone and cant link them for you right now.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Just did some reading at DP-good info there.
I also stumbled across the Labonte system. The DIS-S3 looks similar, except it has a 250psi pump and more advanced electronics. Has anyone got any input on this system? Thisi is the first I have heard of it. Any advantages to running a higher PSI pump?

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
the snow fittings and components are designed for methanol unlike the others. also snow has a lifetime warranty. the snow has a 230 pump coming out very soon, that will be standard for all their kits.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
One more for ya to look at, coolingmist.com
I run the Coolingmist stageII and love it! They have alot of choices in diff systems and settings. I have there Vari-cool controller which is nice. You can even tune your own m/w maps like EFI. I havent done so yet but its a feature of it.

What ever you get, get a good size tank if your gonna use it often;)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I run the Snow kit, but I didn't have that good of luck with it. A pump failed shortly after we installed it, dyno testing refuted their claim that it makes power even with no methanol, and they mix taper-pipe threads with straight pipe threads.

The electronic control module is nice and works great, but make sure you use small zip ties on the boost reference hose, or it will pop off at about 35psi boost. They should have used a captive fitting. Tech support was very weak, and their Duramax-specific kit is more like a universal kit. Use your windshield washer bottle as the tank. It is larger.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've never seen any of the above kits, but I have seen a few painless wiring harnesses. FWIW, they were top notch quality.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I've never seen any of the above kits, but I have seen a few painless wiring harnesses. FWIW, they were top notch quality.

And taking this into account it would lead me to believe their electronics may be a little better as well.

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
X2 on Labonte support, even not buying his system he is very helpful with just about everyone. Everyone that I've seen with his system seems happy with it.

Snow has been good on support too, I've had a couple trouble shooting phone calls with them, mostly due to my own goofs...

Last edited:

Killerbee

Got Honey?
IMG_1372.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2223.jpg

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Wow, coolingmist system are quite advanced-up to 5 pump conrolable, custom mapping, datalogging.

Not sure if I need all of that....;)

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Wow, coolingmist system are quite advanced-up to 5 pump conrolable, custom mapping, datalogging.

Not sure if I need all of that....;)

Yes it is! :teknology: Its the "EFILive" of meth/water injection!:rofl:

Im quite happy with my stage II and i havent even made my own mapping yet;)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
the snow fittings and components are designed for methanol unlike the others......

Not to say your wrong but how do you know this? IIRC Labonte used to sell Snow their controllers till they ripped him off so I'm not sure I would trust everything they say to be true-just going by character. Methanol doesn't need any more special hoses or fittings than most any other hydrocarbon would so I'm sure all the kits out there are the same as far as materials used-except maybe the pumps.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well, after some research, I don't think I am going to go with the Snow-simply due to the cost, the coolingmist looks great, but the wiring looks a little cheesy to me but it's hard to tell by the pictures alone. Do they come with a wiring harness or just a roll of wire and some instructions? That's how it sounded it was done by reading on their website.

I am now leaning towards either the Labonte or the Painless but I am waiting for an answer to a question I have about how the Labonte DIS-S3 picks up the duty cycle of the injectors.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Well, after some research, I don't think I am going to go with the Snow-simply due to the cost, the coolingmist looks great, but the wiring looks a little cheesy to me but it's hard to tell by the pictures alone. Do they come with a wiring harness or just a roll of wire and some instructions? That's how it sounded it was done by reading on their website.

I am now leaning towards either the Labonte or the Painless but I am waiting for an answer to a question I have about how the Labonte DIS-S3 picks up the duty cycle of the injectors.

i had that same kit i might be able to help with the answer , one thing i liked about that kit is with the controller i could always leave the big nozzels in and program less injection rate when i needed to tow VS what i used to run on the track .

and on the injector duty cycle you tap into a wire on the main harness for the signal .

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Including the burnout and mine comes on a bit during staging, maxed out, i sprayed around 2 quarts :eek: iirc

And as far as coolingmist wireing. The Vari-cool has a bit of harness and a plug with some lenth of wire on it. I did have to run some. Its lines are all nickle plated pushloc fittings which are real nice.
The kit i got has there two biggest nozzles avalible.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Yes it is! :teknology: Its the "EFILive" of meth/water injection!:rofl:

Im quite happy with my stage II and i havent even made my own mapping yet;)

I would like to see a Water/Meth company team up with EFI-Live and make Custom OS`s for using with a kit It would sell like mad with. Like have it use the pin outs on the v2 if they have too. Maybe have it you can run 2 pumps so if you need more flow but want to keep the jets sizes down you just run 6 small jets.

sorry I went a bit overboard

Also Killerbee how has the testing been going on the I-Fog any more info on it

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I would like to see a Water/Meth company team up with EFI-Live and make Custom OS`s for using with a kit It would sell like mad with. Like have it use the pin outs on the v2 if they have too. Maybe have it you can run 2 pumps so if you need more flow but want to keep the jets sizes down you just run 6 small jets.

sorry I went a bit overboard

Also Killerbee how has the testing been going on the I-Fog any more info on it

Touche' ;)