SMOG in CA?

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I was at my buddy's shop today and he was saying CA will have smog inspections on diesel trucks in 2010 but apparently it is only a visual and they rev the motor 3 times to the floor and no smoke can cum out. Is this true ?? any one know details yet?

Last edited:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Only takes four hours to put the stock stuff back on:D. My truck is an 07, I should be good until 2013 if they go by the six year rule. Your "guy" is going to need special diesel smog certs to be able to help anybody! Not all smog places will be cert. if im reading into it correctly.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Only takes four hours to put the stock stuff back on:D. My truck is an 07, I should be good until 2013 if they go by the six year rule. Your "guy" is going to need special diesel smog certs to be able to help anybody! Not all smog places will be cert. if im reading into it correctly.

Well my buddy has been in contact with the air board and apparently SMOG shops aren't going to need any new major equipment for several years. A visual inspection, an OBDII scan, and then they are gonna run our trucks to 3000rpm in park 3 times.... But im sure you knew that already

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Same as the info I read a while back, but it stated that the "Tech" was going to need a special smog cert to be able to smog a diesel. Im guessing it's just another way to make $$$, but I guess they need to know what to look for, with the "visual inspection" part of a diesel smog.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Funny Stuff!

I have recently heard about the new “smog” requirements for diesel truck owners. I do have several questions regarding the test itself, first being about the Snap Test. How does a visual inspection of lingering smoke have any sort of scientific data involved, as I am sure you know the black smoke diesel trucks emit is heavy and falls to the earth cause very little pollution, although the NOX is the actual pollutant that is doing the harm, which is unseen by the naked eye.

Question 2, I currently own a 2008 Chevrolet 2500hd, this truck is equipped with a Duramax diesel engine and a DPF. The truck averages around 12MPG, I have several friends that have the same truck with a DPF delete pipe, and with the DPF deleted these individuals are getting almost 20MPG. Here is the question, is putting a DPF on a truck and requiring it to emit less black smoke actually doing good? One would think that a DPF equipped truck would burn more fossil fuel and actually do more harm than good, although it would be more “green” because the visual appearance.

Question 3, The DPF itself, can you explain how this makes any sense please. The DPF collects the soot that the truck would normally emit through the tail pipe; it then re-burns the soot and then releases it. Again the black soot from diesel trucks is not the pollutant, it’s the NOX. While re-burning the soot does this reduce the actual amount of NOX or does it just disguise the smoke to make the truck appear more “green.”

Questions 4, has it passed through anyone’s mind that this may cause serious financial hardships for diesel owners? What about small business owners that use these trucks day in and day out to feed there families. Now they have to retro fit there trucks while going through a recession? HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE? It’s amazing to me, that Californiawill throw money at illegal immigrants but when it comes to hard working, taxpayers the government will just take and take.

I do understand that cars and trucks need to run cleaner so the media can try to convince every that we are still having global warming but I don’t understand why the diesel owners should pay for it.

I look forward to your response,

His Response.......

The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) is posting diesel Smog Check information on our public web site at the following address Diesel Vehicle Smog Check Inspections Information . The following are the responses to your questions.

Question 1 - "How does a visual inspection of lingering smoke have any sort of scientific data involved, as I am sure you know the black smoke diesel trucks emit is heavy and falls to the earth cause very little pollution, although the NOX is the actual pollutant that is doing the harm, which is unseen by the naked eye."
Answer 1- ARB and BAR have worked closely on development of the diesel inspection procedures, and have inspected over 350 diesel vehicles to derive the procedure. BAR's role in the diesel vehicle Smog Check inspection implementation is to work with ARB in developing test procedures, and ensure that the inspections can be performed, and certificates sent to DMV, so we are not the correct entity to address the Particulate Matter (PM) verses Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) question you have asked. If you desire more information on this issue the California Air Resources Board has many studies posted to their web site at Welcome to the California Air Resources Board.

Question 2 - "is putting a DPF on a truck and requiring it to emit less black smoke actually doing good? One would think that a DPF equipped truck would burn more fossil fuel and actually do more harm than good, although it would be more “green” because the visual appearance."
Answer 2 - BAR's role in the diesel vehicle Smog Check inspection implementation is to work with ARB in developing test procedures, and ensure that the inspections can be performed, and certificates sent to DMV, so we are not the correct entity to address the question of why Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) are part of the Original Equipment Manufactures (OEM) designs. A DPF delete would be cause for a diesel Smog Check failure.

Question 3 - "The DPF itself, can you explain how this makes any sense please. The DPF collects the soot that the truck would normally emit through the tail pipe; it then re-burns the soot and then releases it. Again the black soot from diesel trucks is not the pollutant, it’s the NOx. While re-burning the soot does this reduce the actual amount of NOx or does it just disguise the smoke to make the truck appear more “green.”"
Answer 3 - BAR's role in the diesel vehicle Smog Check inspection implementation is to work with ARB in developing test procedures, and ensure that the inspections can be performed, and certificates sent to DMV, so we are not the correct entity to address the question of why Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) are part of the Original Equipment Manufactures (OEM) designs.

Question 4 - has it passed through anyone’s mind that this may cause serious financial hardships for diesel owners? What about small business owners that use these trucks day in and day out to feed there families. Now they have to retro fit there trucks while going through a recession? HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE? It’s amazing to me, that Californiawill throw money at illegal immigrants but when it comes to hard working, taxpayers the government will just take and take.
Answer 4 - BAR did not pass the law that requires diesel vehicle to be incorporated into the Smog Check program, the California legislature is in charge of making, and changing laws. The diesel Smog Check program will not be holding the vehicle to any higher standards than when the vehicle was originally certified for sale, so no retrofits will be required. The only repairs that are expected are for broken vehicle components, or vehicles that have been illegally tampered. Vehicles that have non-OEM equipment such as DPF deletes, EGR deletes, re-programmers, ... must go through the ARB Executive Order (EO) process for on-road installation. More information on EOs can be found on ARB's web site listed above. Many aftermarket devices have gone through the EO process, and some new applications are being submitted to ARB for approval. Also remember that gasoline vehicles have been in the Smog Check program for many years now, and the diesel vehicles are not being held to any higher standard.

Greg Coburn
Bureau of Automotive Repair - Engineering and Research Branch