slop in rearoutput shaft of transfer case?(vid)

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
slop in rear output shaft of transfer case?(vid)

heres the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0XAHXD_5BY

was changing the oil on my truck a couple days ago and was looking everything over, sometimes when I lay into the throttle, I can feel the truck kind of squat and every once in a while i hear a loud pop/bang. watching some vids, looks like the driveline gets driven up pretty hard, maybe I'm hearing the driveline and yolk hit? if that's possible.

so the clunk, is that normal? it doesn't sound like it is normal to me. i removed the driveline today and pushed up on only the output shaft of the transfer case, it still makes a noise, its hard to push up on it as there isn't much sticking out,

i have a can of the special grease for the normal "driveline clunk" this will be the 3rd time in 45k miles i have pulled the driveline and greased it, i also checked the U joints, they dont appear to be spinning in the caps, or be super loose, the joint at the transfer case moves alot more freely than the one at the diff, but i am not able to wiggle it any and get any movement out of it. the slip yolk has about a 2'' section where im guessing the seal rides as the driveline moves, doesnt have any obvious damage.

so you guys think the noise is normal? or i need to take the t case apart and take a look at that rear output shaft bearing? I read another thread on here where the guy had enough slop to case a seal leak, he replaced the slip yolk, bearing, bushing and seal, mine is not leaking, but I like to fix stuff before it fails all the way.

also, looking at something to help with the axle wrap when i want to get on it. I don't race it, i haul a 400gal water tank a few times a week, and have 1 add-a-leaf to keep the 1'' rake with the front end leveled, as well as 295/75/16 tires on it. been reading on here, seems like Cal Tracs are the popular opinion for dd and towing applications

Last edited:

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I'd start with a bushing, seal and new yoke and go from there. Check leaf condition and if good get some traction bars. People like cal tracs but can get creaky.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
I'd start with a bushing, seal and new yoke and go from there. Check leaf condition and if good get some traction bars. People like cal tracs but can get creaky.

thats kinda what i was thinking, and do U joints while i have the yolk off anyways and have the driveline balanced.

still up in the air about bars or cal tracs, i have seen the rattle complaint before btu some bars have it to, i have some hiem joints laying around, might just build a set of bars

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
local shop didnt have the u joints, or yolk in stock, so everything on order, also went and got some DOM tubing, and ordered some bushings and pieces and parts to build some traction bars, already have some heat treated chromoly heim joints

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
just going to add on to this post instead of making a new one.

still waiting on U joints.... so got busy making some stuff for the traction bars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4DJyxf_8w bending the steel

and a couple pics, they aren't finished yet, i need to go back and shave them down a bit and shape them

Attachments

• bushing 2.jpg
    bushing 2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 31
  • bushing.jpg
    bushing.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 33

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
got the transfer case split today, found a loose bearing on the outputshaft, as well as the support bearing in the back of the case for the front output. a complete bearing kit with seals was about 60$ difference from just 1 bearing and a seal. so i got the kit. anyone know of a good write up on how to rebuild one of these guys?

also, had them press in a new rear output bushing, guy said my old one was in upside down, and was not lined up with the lube hole, he installed new one with lube hole on bottom lined up with hole in bushing. so that may have been some of my problem

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
When was anyone in it Mike? Id throw a pump rub kit in while its apart bud.

no idea, must have been before i bought it? looks like some of the snap rings have marks on them from being pryed on. I bought it from AK sales and service,i would bet it was them or the guy before me, it was owned by a roofing company pulling a 5th wheel for the 95 k miles before i bought it.

also, it has SKF bearings in it, not sure what would be stock?

It already has a pump rub kit in it, Evan put one in the trans kit it got from him

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
also the kit came with new thrust washers for the planetary, the yellow one is the old one in the top position, it has no ears, the lower one has ears.

both the new ones have ears on them, does this matter? they don't look damaged but i have new ones and am this far.

also assembly lube? just some atf or? i have some assembly goo thats like a wax type trans assembly grease

Attachments

• thrust washers.jpg
    thrust washers.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 28

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
They should both have ears. ATF is fine for assembly lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
got it on the thrust washers. the case looks to be ok in the snap ring area, and alright in the pump rub location. pressure washed the back half of the case and looked it over. going to do the same to the front. bunch of needle bearings fell out of the shift shaft bearing, looks like the kit has a new one in it though.

got the main shaft disassembled, cleaned and re assembled with new bearing, got the new bearing on the front output, need to take some of the pieces to work and press out the bearing inside the planetary that the main shaft sits in.

also any ideas on removing the bearing that carries the back of the front output, its pressed into the rear housing?

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Had to cut the support bearing out, wasn't too bad.

Side note, as for traction bars, I see them set on both directly under the frame and mounted to the leaf spring bracket as well as in a straight line which puts it to the outside of the frame inline with the bracket, does it really matter that much or is one better than the other?

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
got everything to put the t case back together, should have it done soon, dropped drivelines off to be balanced, the rear driveshaft has a "sprung" yoke according to the shop and have to weld a new one on, hopefully make some traction bar progress while i wait for those