Slip yoke bump-clunk solutions?

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Well, the synthetic grease gave out after about 6 weeks, and the bump/clunk was back. So I spent the coin on the nickle plated yoke from the dealer, and it's installed now.

Working just fine so far. :eek:

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
I read somewhere that GM makes a specific grease that will resist Tranny fluid and not get dissolved. Never saw a name or anything for it though.

How much is the new nickel plated yoke? Mine clunks pretty bad too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
The one for my truck lists for $273.28, but I own a shop so I paid wholesale. Comes with a new U-joint.

They have quite a few different part numbers for different years/wheelbase, etc. Your price may be drastically different.

duramaxJoe08

smokinjoe
Aug 27, 2011
Princeton Iowa
mine was the same i use ep2 black pearl from cheveron works great stuff will not wash off your hands at all. i grease mine once a year just so i dont get a noise

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
For the spline shafts, I have always used a moly grease specified by Honda (Honda Moly 60 Paste) for the shaft drive bikes (it is also recommended for gears, bearings, and other high pressure/high temperature applications). It works pretty good and is really slippery.

This stuff is like black gold when you buy it, but I have used it on all my bikes, and on shaft applications for my truck.

kr4fk

Apr 3, 2013
I have a GMC 04 crew cab bought used with 32k miles with warranty left. Had the bump when taking off from a stop around 40k to 45k. Right rear axle seal was leaking a bit so I thought the brake was grabbing. Dealer replaced the drive shaft yoke with the nickel plated type and repair the leaking seal at the same. That took care of the problem till about 65k. The bump was very slight and not every stop. Was about the same time I noticed at interstate speed a bearing going bad. Check of the hub bearings was showing a little wear but not bad and was winter. Without a garage to work I decided to wait. The bearing was getting progressively worse and so was the bump. I bought Timken brand from the local parts house the and set about changing them. To my surprise the suspect yoke bump went away too. Has been several months now and have smooth starts from stop and can not get over how smooth the new hubs are.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
And mine didn't have the clunk until I put the nickle palted yoke in. The welch plug in the end of mine came loose and started leaking, so I put in the new style yoke, then I developed the clunk bump coming to a stop.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
In my 2wd when i greased the yolk at the carrier it had the bump for a while then it went away. Now its an occasional bump, but not consistent enough for me to pull it back out.

Think it might be caused by the thick grease and tight tolerances in the slip yolk. get that thick grease back there and it's hydrolocking until you push enough of the grease through the missing tooth.