LB7: Slight lope and hard knock on startup

ASR_lb7

Oct 30, 2017
Albany, Mn
I bought an 04 lb7 that had been sitting for a few years because it had a bent frame from an accident. So i ended up buying it and had it shipped from Texas back up to Minnesota, purchased a new frame, had it sand blasted and painted, and got it all back together. It ran when I went down to look at it but after getting it back together it wouldn't start. I was able to get it started once and had my neighbor check it out. He ended up finding out that my injectors were bad so I replaced them all with injectors from LDS. When starting it for the first time there was a loud pop so I stopped cranking and checked it out. Everything seemed fine so I kept cranking and it started right up. Every time after that it had a single hard knock on startup and a slight lope until it warms up. I was getting air in the fuel and discovered the fuel lines over the valve cover were crushed so I ran a hose from the lift pump to the FICM but the loping still continued. I replaced the FPR with one from LDS but the loping and hard knock on startup still continues. It also has a puff of white smoke out the exhaust when it starts. The lope is about a 20 rpm difference and the fuel pressure seems to jump around about 200-400 psi. I have no idea what it could be and it's driving me nuts. Does anyone have an idea what it could possibly be going on with it?

ASR_lb7

Oct 30, 2017
Albany, Mn
I tried that but it remains the same... When I first got the lift pump it would max out rail pressure so I cut the spring down to the point where it ran smooth, but I have no clue what pressure it's at since I don't have a gauge.

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Really need a gauge to fine tune the pump bud, even a hand gauge

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Lb7 about 6-7psi and lly/lbz about 8-10psi

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.

ASR_lb7

Oct 30, 2017
Albany, Mn
I didn't get a chance to set the lift pump pressure yet, and I just remembered that the spring and ball is out of the lift pump right now. I started it up tonight to move it where I can work on it and was listening to the exhaust. When it idles it has like a "popping" sound. Is that just a typical lb7 or could it be something wrong?

jchav62

NM Duramax
Oct 12, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
I didn't get a chance to set the lift pump pressure yet, and I just remembered that the spring and ball is out of the lift pump right now. I started it up tonight to move it where I can work on it and was listening to the exhaust. When it idles it has like a "popping" sound. Is that just a typical lb7 or could it be something wrong?

My LB7 doesn't have a popping sound at idle. I would say something is wrong.

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Bad nozzle would cause stupid bad smoking from diesel dripping in. I recommend getting fresh rates and return rates to narrow down which bank and tear into it before anything is severely damaged

ASR_lb7

Oct 30, 2017
Albany, Mn
Alright well that clears that up. I checked balance rates and the highest ones are on cylinders 2 and 8 which is about a max of about +/- 2.0. The return rates were checked at my neighbor's place a while ago and were all pretty low and he said that they were good. With that being said could it possibly be the cp3? The truck only has 73,000 miles on it so I would assume it's good... but anything is possible I guess.

ASR_lb7

Oct 30, 2017
Albany, Mn
Well I was finally able to set the lift pump pressure tonight because I had no homework to do after work. The pressure now sits around 7-8 psi. I started it up and still had the slight lope for about a minute or two. There is still a popping coming from the exhaust as well until it warms up. Is there a way to upload a video on here so maybe people would have a better idea of what it could be?

Nickracer9

May 23, 2012
I did an ohm test on each one, but I’m tempted to just pull them all and bench test them to make sure they are glowing within a decent amount of time.