Single Battery

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I'd like to set the truck up to run one battery over the winter and place that weight over the rear tires. So extra weight isn't a bad thing, but honestly wanna keep the truck as light as you can.

I have never been much of a fan of AGM style batteries, but think I need to go with them.

What are you guys running as a single battery, for the ones that are running a single battery 100% of the time.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
So you want to put a single battery in/under the bed? You'll probably have to use a really strong battery if you're going to have the cables be that long. When I ran one battery it died or wouldn't start if I didn't drive it every day. Good luck!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im running a duracrap from autozone. 1000cca and had it since march. Cranks a bit slower than the dual batts but never really notice it.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
So you want to put a single battery in/under the bed? You'll probably have to use a really strong battery if you're going to have the cables be that long. When I ran one battery it died or wouldn't start if I didn't drive it every day. Good luck!

No in the bed....

jet96

Oct 20, 2010
Wideoming
I just zip tied mine to the rad support, was going to remove them but never got around to it. I've been running 1 batt( Napa 75) for 2 years now, it'll start at 5 below without being plugged in...Trent's tunes? I just tried it to see if it would. Once it gets down in the 'teens I usually plug it in.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
See I guess the good thing is in the bed, I'm not limited to a certain size category of battery.

What you run???? Or do I have to guess lol.

Thats the biggest battery they had. I actually bought it for my samurai and had it in there just before i got the truck runnin. For 79 bucks and a 3 year free replacement i really cant complain

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
What do u guys do with the extra cables when u remove 1?

I will remove them.

Thats the biggest battery they had. I actually bought it for my samurai and had it in there just before i got the truck runnin. For 79 bucks and a 3 year free replacement i really cant complain

Thats not too shabby, I'm just worried about power on one battery being so far away from the engine....

I mean I guess I could mount it at the very back inside of the cab.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Run a bigger wire like some 00 of possible. And upgrade all the grounds, it will really make a difference if your concerned

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
For the positive, use 4/0 welding cable directly to the starter and then use the factory cable to run power from the starter around to the fuse box. For the ground, use 4/0 to the frame and run another cable from the motor to the frame.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Yeah I had planned on a larger gauge wire and grounds. Got plenty of 00 from my old stereo days when I could hear shit.....

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
For the positive, use 4/0 welding cable directly to the starter and then use the factory cable to run power from the starter around to the fuse box. For the ground, use 4/0 to the frame and run another cable from the motor to the frame.

Are you talking remove the braided line on driver side or to take place of the 2 on the pass side? Or you mean an extra? As the ground obviously.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Are you talking remove the braided line on driver side or to take place of the 2 on the pass side? Or you mean an extra? As the ground obviously.
The negative battery cables go to a bolt on the block on both sides. Just remove them both and run a single cable to the frame.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Mine starts fine on a single crappy batt mounted on the frame, but I only run it like that at the track. dont think you need much of one for what you are doing

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Im running the factory GM battery no problems so far. I ditched the 2nd one when the twins went on. She cranks a little slower but thats it:thumb:

Dudgy

Runaway
Jun 1, 2010
Alberta
Been running one battery in racetruck for two years now with no problems, never had it dead yet and that's the stock battery, or similar replacement whatever it is lol. Truck only gets driven at racedays and every once in a while on the road for some testing so it doesn't see much charging time but i've never had to boost start it or hook it to a battery charger yet

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Wes(whitetrash21) ran his truck for almost a year with one battery(red top) when it sat for a long time it did die but when used moderately it had no problems firing the lly up! I wouldn't hesitate to run only 1 battery