signs of a bad torque converter

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Again, buddy is talking about a vibration, not a repeated knocking which is what your describing-which would be caused by poorly installed exhaust knocking on the body/frame of the truck. Vibrations are harmonic.

tomc983

tomc983
Jan 20, 2009
New Jersey
i started with exhaust but didnt solve the problem and like LBZ said Vibrations are harmonic witch is what i have im dreading it but may have to go to the dealer on this one:confused:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
If the exhaust is bouncing off the truck it will knock/rattle. If it's pressed against the truck and not bouncing, it will vibrate like a SOB. Think of it like replacing all the rubber isolation pads, with solid mounts.

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Doubtful. Exhaust would cause a rattle, not send vibrations through your truck.

Wanna come take a ride in my BURB, she's sure got some exhaust vibrations to her that can be pretty bad at times if you lkoad it just right. Many times a combination of things can cause some wicked vibrations, but no one thing can be pin pointed. A good example was when I had my 6.5 and a gear vendors installed in it. I would get a WICKED vibration that would take the rear view mirror down, but everything in the driveline was fine. It ended up being the driveshaft matched harmonics with the exhaust at OD from 45-60, and man was it WICKED when they matched. Kick it into neutral and it went away. Ended up taking the GEAR VENDORS out since I couldn't tune the harmonics out.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I stand by my statement. The only way a knocking exhaust will simulate a rotating vibration is if was really really quick oscillation back and forth. And I mean REALLY fast like an exhasut drone from the gasses or something.

Last edited:

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
With some transmissions you can remove the converter bolts, push the converter back, and run the engine to check for vibrations. Don't know if you can do that with the Allsion! :cool2:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I stand by my statement. The only way a knocking exhaust will simulate a rotating vibration is if was really really quick oscillation back and forth. And I mean REALLY fast like an exhasut drone from the gasses or something.

Just make sure your down pipe is against your up pipes or headers and you will get some good vibrations not any rattles or knocks.

Lb7KID

ZoomZoom
Jan 24, 2010
parker,colo
With some transmissions you can remove the converter bolts, push the converter back, and run the engine to check for vibrations. Don't know if you can do that with the Allsion! :cool2:

on the allsion you have to pull the stater to get the converter bolts off:(