Shut off while driving

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
I have read a bunch of other threads and most of them were older. Long story short the truck has been down for months due to getting a make over and pulling season was over. Got it running and everything seemed good. Took it out for a test drive just down the road and it shut off. It cranks but will not start. I checked all connections, has a brand new battery, alternator is good. I have a pull tomorrow and trying to get this figured out. As I'm cranking it for a couple seconds it just stops cranking. I had the fuel system apart for a little while and wondering if it could get an air pocket with having a lift pump still? It sounds more electrical because when it shut off it just died no sputter like it ran out of fuel.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
It has rail pressure. It kinda seems like it's just falling on its face while cranking and like I said its a brand new battery and have it on a tender also.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
No code and not showing Rpms. What could cause it to just stop cranking when you are trying to start it?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
It might stop cranking if it doesn't see rpm. Check your wiring to your crank and cam sensors, probably going to have to pull crank sensor and check the reluctor wheel and hope it is still on lol

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
The only thing I'm getting off my computer is a p0380. A glow plug control module. I wouldn't think that would cause it to die while driving right?

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
It might stop cranking if it doesn't see rpm. Check your wiring to your crank and cam sensors, probably going to have to pull crank sensor and check the reluctor wheel and hope it is still on lol

I checked both of those sensors and wires for them. That was my next step to check the reluctor ring. Was kinda dreading that honestly lol.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
How much movement would you get if its loose? I put my finger in there and there is nothing loose that I can feel.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
For an update. Checked reluctor ring and seems tight. Checked fuel to the cp3's and it there. Truck cranks for 5 seconds then stops and the gauges stop working. I am getting my laptop back this week to check rpm as rail pressure again. One thing that It could possible be is an injector stuck open. It made a strange noise right before it died but I can't describe it. I checked oil for fuel and did the ring test and it checked out ok. I bleed injector lines and no fuel came out, so I loosened my hp line from the rail to my second cp3 and hardly any fuel came out. I have been doin alot of reading trying to figure this out. I traced all wires and found one thing. The map sensor pigtail had two exposed wires but not sure if they touched or not. Would that cause any of this?

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
Found out what it was. The harness for the crank and can sensor got burnt. It was my fault it was behind the manifolds and resting up agains my remote mount. My only question is, can I splice them back together and it will be fine?