Should I switch to a different converter?

Swisstyphoon

Jan 2, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale FL/Switzerland
Since I installed the mpi basic twins kit and the a suncoast stage IV along with a 1054 converter, my truck feels laggy from a full stop untill it the turbos light. It also smokes like a train, same thing when I drive uphill until it downshifts.
The high altitude and steep hills in the Swiss mountains and my heavy 33" tires are not helping either.
Firts I thought it might be a tuning issue or a boost leak, but thats not the case. Tuning changes made it better and the smoke is not as bad anymore.
But I came to the conclusion that the 1054 is just to tight for me.???
Should I switch to a 1058?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
1054 is way too tight. 1058 is my favorite Suncoast converter and I tested this for Ron at SC. You might want something looser than the 1058 depending on setup.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I ran a 56,58&55. With my triples I have a 55 and it does a great job. I like the 58 but like the 55 better. It is a very driver friendly truck.

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you know if a converter is too tight? I have the 1054 as well, and wondering if something different would be better?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I absolutely hate tight converters... I have been running a 2700rpm stall converter from Mike for several years.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you know if a converter is too tight? I have the 1054 as well, and wondering if something different would be better?

Test your converter to see when it flashes. At an idle with foot off the brake, stab the throttle and watch the tach to see at what RPM the truck comes out of the hole. That is your flash point. I will bet your 1054 flashes at 1500 RPM. !700/1800 is much better for a flash point. Make the truck a lot more fun.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I don't have alot of drive time with the ML-G but so far I'm very happy with it. It gets the pickup moving and engages good. I can't wait to get more miles on it and see how it does towing.

Thanks Mike :thumb::thumb:

Yellowchevy

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
Will do. Thanks mike. Can I send the converter off to suncoast to have it "loosened"? Or would I just need to get a different one if the 54 is too tight?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
if You have the danville stage 2.5 as the back charger still I think its got a 10 vane turbine wheel, which will be great to flow more air and reduce backpressure, but its gonna spool a little slower especially higher altitude, another charger behind it. Maybe you could crank vanes some in the tune?? (which may need done in the max vane position table as well
also test cac system for any leaks, a small leak will seem laggy

Swisstyphoon

Jan 2, 2010
1054 is way too tight. 1058 is my favorite Suncoast converter and I tested this for Ron at SC. You might want something looser than the 1058 depending on setup.

Thanks for your input Mike. Now im pretty sure I will change to the 1058.
Back in 2009 most people including my tuner told me the 1054 is the way to go with the basic twins. Not saying they where wrong, it performed really well on dragraces, just to tight for me to drive it in the swiss alps.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317977&highlight=

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
if You have the danville stage 2.5 as the back charger still I think its got a 10 vane turbine wheel, which will be great to flow more air and reduce backpressure, but its gonna spool a little slower especially higher altitude, another charger behind it. Maybe you could crank vanes some in the tune?? (which may need done in the max vane position table as well

What?

Swisstyphoon

Jan 2, 2010

Had the same problem with the stock turbo. After this one broke last year I replaced it with the Danville 2.5. The Danville 2.5 dosnt spool slower than my stock turbo, because the bathmowheel is lighter.
Tested foor boost leaks before and also the tuning changes where made. Still to tight/laggy for me.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Had the same problem with the stock turbo. After this one broke last year I replaced it with the Danville 2.5. The Danville 2.5 dosnt spool slower than my stock turbo, because the bathmowheel is lighter.
Tested foor boost leaks before and also the tuning changes where made. Still to tight/laggy for me.

AFAIK the batmowheel or billet is the same exact weight as a cast wheel