Shock extension vs Factory

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
I was going through a lot of different forums looking for the correct answers but always get peoples different opinions. So going to try this again. I have ready lift torsion keys with the shock extensions with the cognito upper control arm. When I installed the kit I only had the stock shocks so I installed the shock extensions and went on my way. Later I installed the Bilstein 5100's and never removed the shock extensions and it rides a little rougher. I know a level kit is junk and should have went with the suspension lift, but now that I have it, will the factory shock mounts be better for the shocks I installed instead of those extensions. Will the ride be smoother or should I say as smooth as it's going to get with stock shock mounts?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I would pull the extensions out. Will it ride better nope. It’s probably cranked too high that’s why it rides bad.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I most definitely needed extensions/spacers after cranking or changing Torsion keys. The 5100s are more aggressive than stock but not enough to ruin your ride.

You probably lifted it too far for the factory length and allowed more drop out and the shocks are at their limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
I called Bilstein and they were trying to say there is a sweet spot in the travel of the shock and said the extensions need to be removed. Thats just a company trying to cover there product. The front end is a touch lower than the rear already.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
They arent "covering their product". Shocks do have a certain range of motion that they work within, and obviously you've put yours outside of that. Did you use the 5100s for stock height, or the "lifted" ones? Just how high have you cranked the front end up?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You need longer shocks, if you bought stock height. I went with the shocks for a 2" level they are longer and have diffrent valving. My 15 had extensions and my 16 has longer shocks, the difference is noticeable, 16 rides much smoother...

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
The 5100 are for the lifted and leveled trucks. I have a leveled truck so yes I have the 5100's but the problem is I left the extensions on and just wondering if I installed the stock mounts back on will the ride be better. The front is lower than the back so I don't have the truck lifted to much.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Give us the part number you used and measure how much shock shaft is exposed at ride height. i can make a determination from there.

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
I’m not at the house, where the truck is and I won’t be there till June so the measurements won’t be for a while but I’ll be sure to PM you about it when I get back. Thanks for the info guys

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
From what I remember, even the 5100 for stock trucks are ok to crank the front end 1 to 2 inches. If you run 5100's take out the shock extensions.

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
I'll do that. This is the info i was needing from you guys. I really appreciate the help you guys are giving. I'll be removing the extensions and adding the stock.