Serpentine belt (Drive belt)

hdmax

Mini-Max
Aug 9, 2006
New Lex, Oh
Just to let you all know that when you lose the drive belt, you not only lose the power steering, (Which is nothing new.) but also the power brakes. (Very new to me.) One of the idler pulleys froze up, and distroyed the belt. ($40 for the belt alone.) The brakes were as if someone drained the brake fluid out. (Very little brakes at all, peddel goes to the floor.)

Now I can't seem to be able to fine a new idler pulley. All the auto parts stores say they can't get it. And the closest GM dealer doesn't have a clue what I am talking about.

I have removed the pulley, and I even have the set of manuals (5 sears catalog size manuals) but I can't find the part number. (I guess that's the bad part of having thousands, and thousands of pages to look through.)

I put a call in to Eric Merchant, but being the weekend, I got nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Are you talking about the belt tensioner pulley or another pulley? Usually most places have the tensioner pulley (Napa, carquest, etc) on hand b/c they fail pretty often.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I've got a carquest part number off of an old box if you can cross it to other brands.
Its 89007.
*CAUTION* I'm about 90% sure this is for the duramax. There's about a 10% chance it could be for my '88 Jimmy. :eek:

hdmax

Mini-Max
Aug 9, 2006
New Lex, Oh
Are you talking about the belt tensioner pulley or another pulley? Usually most places have the tensioner pulley (Napa, carquest, etc) on hand b/c they fail pretty often.

It is the idler pulley. There are two of them just below the tensioner pulley.
I finally found one, and I have someone picking it up. (Well I hope the parts man knows what he was talking about when he said they had one in stock.) I should have it by 6:00PM tonight. The pulley is very easy to change when the belt is off. But it looks like the belt will be a nightmare to get fished in there.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
hdmax, did your idler pulley make noise before it froze up. My brother has 2 01's that make some sort of pulley noise and it is presumed to be the idler pulley.

I hope you weren't dealing with Taylor's in Lancaster, they're retarded. If you do have to deal with Taylor's parts, ask for Pat, he's the only one worth talking to.

hdmax

Mini-Max
Aug 9, 2006
New Lex, Oh
hdmax, did your idler pulley make noise before it froze up. My brother has 2 01's that make some sort of pulley noise and it is presumed to be the idler pulley.

I hope you weren't dealing with Taylor's in Lancaster, they're retarded. If you do have to deal with Taylor's parts, ask for Pat, he's the only one worth talking to.

As for the noise, yea, it would make random noises for a couple seconds then not again for a while. And it was at no certain point while driving, other then it did it more while the engine was cold.
It almost sounded like how the tranny does in tow/haul and in low gear. You know the whine I'm talking about?

As for Taylor, I have always had great service with them. I have bought 9 or 10 new vehicles from them over the past 30 years. And yes that is where I got the idler pulley today. And it was the correct one, and Pat is the one working today, so all went well. I had the pulley and belt on in less then 20 minutes. It really surprised me that I was done so quick.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
As for Taylor, I have always had great service with them.

Your the first I've heard that has said this. That's great. My family has done business with Taylor's for over 30 years and I have not had 1 good experience with them. Things may have changed recently though, I guess there was a big shackdown in managment of the service department. Also, Pat is a very helpful guy. He's the guy I ask for when I need something.

I go to Layman, (old Hendren) Pontiac, GMC, Cadillac. I like their service much better. They treat all vehicles/customer's like caddy owners, very clean shop.