Schaeffer' oil! Wow!

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
We switched over to Shaeffer's Oil grease a while back from Mystic JT6. Our rep stopped by today to check out our inventory and did a small oil test for me. We tested my tried and true Rotella T6 5w40 w/ Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer against Shaeffer's 15w40 blend oil. WOW!

The test consisted of a simple electric motor to a belt driven shaft with a bearing race on the end of the shaft. There was a handle with a pivot (giving a 10/1) attached to a steel dowel. Pressure being applied to the long end would push the dowel against the race.

Dry, you could stop the electric motor fairly easy. He then put a 1/1 mix of Rotella T6/Lucas in a reservoir below the bearing race and had me apply pressure the handle. The motor stopped with little effort. 5 or 6 attempt later yielded the same results...

He then filled the reservoir with Shaeffer's 15w40 synthetic blend motor oil. He then had me push on the handle at about half the force that it took to stall the motor on the previous test. The motor never slowed down like it did with the Rotella /Lucas blend. He then asked me to stop the electric motor by pushing on the handle like I had in the previous test. I couldn't without picking up the entire test station.

I put almost all my weight (230lbs) on the handle and could not stop the electric motor. I tried several times with no luck to stop the motor. SOLD! He then pulled the reservoir and dried off the race and dowel with a towel and asked me to stop the motor. No go! Even dry of any liquid I could not stall the electric motor.

This simple test blew me away! I will never run anything but Shaeffer's Oil in another vehicle that I own.

Just thought the rest of you would like to hear what I saw today.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Used to work for BG.....we used that test with many different oil additives with same results. Didn't know they were using it for oil comparisons now.....

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wonder how that test would go with other synthetic oils. With a measured applied force that is to keep a constant in the force applied equation. Would be interesting to see how other oils measure up.
Would also be interesting to do that test after 10 - 15 000 miles.

WI Huck

Where does the time go?
Feb 8, 2012
We had a rep at one of our dyno days and we saw the same thing. We tried Amsoil, Rotella, and Valvoline. It was hard to believe for sure.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
It's good oil for sure. We run it in all our farm equipment but it is not a miracle oil. That test favors thier oil. My local truck mech had a buddy who secretly swapped his regular oil for some shaffers oil that he had gotten from a fiend. When the local rep showed up to preform his test the oil failed even though it was the exact same oil the rep had. The rep admitted it was how he performed the test that yielded the results that it did. Basically boiled down to the fact the test was bs. Always believe independent studies, not studies performed by the company.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I've been had! I'll be showing him the you tube video when he drops off the oil next week.

I wouldn't even let him show up and I'd cancel the order now.

One thing I was thinking about was that any oil company, supplier, etc. that needs to pack a tradeshow machine around with them to show how good it is just to sell it maybe means the product is something to be skeptical of. And probably not someone to be trusted.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's about like the gear case setup Lucas has at all the Napa stores, or the k&N "flow meter" rigs.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Sad, Schaeffers is probably a good product, maybe just as good as the other better brands, but trying to peddle it with snake oil tricks would turn me off from ever buying it.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Schaeffers 15w-40 engine oil is a good product but not as good as they say it is. IMO. Idc about the bearing test. In our 966 Cat engine the UOAs looked somewhat better on paper compared to the fleet oils you find on the shelves at Walmart but for the duramax there was no noticeable changes in the UOAs between the Schaeffers 7000 and the mystik 15w-50 jt-8 we run. After we use this Schaeffers up I'm staying with the mystik 15w-50 jt-8 synthetic blend as it does a good enough job protecting our duramaxs and the HD equipment we run. No need in spending $3 a quart more and not getting the results we were looking for in the duramax engines.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'll stick with my Mobil. Or head and shoulders!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk