Sand in bed

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
So apparently, its gonna snow in the east coast area. :rofl:

Gotta drive to MD from NJ and was thinking of tossing a few 50lb bags of play sand in bed. Truck is 4x4 but RCLB makes a light rear axle.

Anyone on here recommend a good weight to shoot for?

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
If your tires are halfway decent I wouldn't worry about it too much in 4 wheel drive. Whatever extra weight you do put in should be an advantage though. Put it behind the axle right against the tailgate for the most effect

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
When my tool box was loaded it weighed in around 1000lbs about 400lbs empty and squatted the truck about 2 inches, they do handle much better with weight and with 1-1/2" sway bars front and rear made it more stable, ask the wife she'll disagree... :woott:
=
=
2qvbdsl.jpg

=
=

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
I push snow with my truck with a heavy v plow never put weight in it does good but for what you guys are about to get 500# wouldn't hurt

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
300-500lbs is perfect!
You can get away without it, sure, but it is a night and day difference, and if you're not adapt to snow driving, I'd say it's a smart move

I stack sand bags right over the axle in between the wheel well's when it snows

There is also a bed weight bag you can buy and fill with water. It allows you to haul stuff too, think it holds like 50- 80 gollons!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
500 lbs and then you don't need to run in 4wd. Like Coco said right over the axle. If you put it against the tailgate it will affect the handling a lot if you start to spin out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm like James, but my wife hates it when I start drifting at 70 on the freeway.

I'm glad I don't live up north anymore traction in these trucks is bad enough in the rain.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm like James, but my wife hates it when I start drifting at 70 on the freeway.

I'm glad I don't live up north anymore traction in these trucks is bad enough in the rain.

yeah mine either.... so when we lived in the snow she was pushed very hard to drive anywhere we went :roflmao:

That settles it, we need to create a Dmax donut and drifting thread:woott:

Ha! 2wd and 4wd drifiting is so much fun in these trucks. When it rains down here, i drive teh tracker everywhere. it has a lock rite in the ass end so if i hammer it as soon as i turn, the slop will build engine rpm and as soon as it locks in, im sideways the whole corner (like a clutch drop almost lol). im sure ill break something soon doing that but i really dont care, the rear ends are cheap and easy to work on :roflmao:. My wife gives me a "James carter!!" and then just holds on. i feel like after her riding with me for almost 9 years now, she would know im still a big kid at heart :D

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
I dont mind the driving part, its gettin up and down the 2 big ass hills i live on in the country. gravel and partly paved makes for quick freezing with all of the trees in the pasture around me. Wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for the big creek coming back down the hill, if you start sliding you better hope you hit a tree before nose diving 13 feet off the creek bank. I cant wait to move.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Normally I just rock the RWD aspect and enjoy it, its like driving the camaro and nailing it at 65 :D But boat leaves with or without us, so wanna make sure I get there on time. :woott:

I'm gonna grab few bags at lunch and after work. Probably won't ****ing snow now. :rofl:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm gonna grab few bags at lunch and after work. Probably won't ****ing snow now. :rofl:

thats how it works! az weather people were making everyone freak out about "worse rain to come this year!" after we just had a major storm so my parents started filling sand bags to put around a wash they have by their house...... we got 1/4" of rain from that storm :rofl: