LB7: SAC 45 overs, who is running them?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Did you replace the whole injector? Where did they come from? Do you have flow sheets on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Bought complete injectors from lincoln because I didn't want this to happen. They gave me a generic flow sheet that is just for a set of the 45 over sacs. 1 & 7 were 2 of my best cylinders before. This was after about a 10 mile drive to get it up to temp, idling, no a/c. Theres also a nasty fuel smell to it if I rev it some which may be the stock LB7 tuning as I know it isn't the best for sac's, but it is RANK smelling. Not to mention when I did drive it, when I got on it a little bit, it blew HEAVY grey smoke. I'm going to straighten the tuning out some tommorrow, but I'm still not happy with having balance rates with a wider spread now than my hazers had.

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Wow, sorry to see that happen. My 75% SACs have great balance rates. So strange.

I have found the SAC injectors like fuel pressure. I ended up ramping in fuel pressure pretty quick on my tune, and they run nice and clean.

Mine do have a bit of a fuel smell at idle, but I always attributed that to being 75% overs on a lowered compression engine with a big cam.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Talked to Lincoln, and said since I got the sacs, they have to go through s&s as they don't do those in house. So I'm going to recover today and tommorrow, and dive back into the passenger side Sunday. Being disabled sucks, I about killed myself the last 3 days working on it, not looking forward to doing it again.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
We will get to the bottom of it and figure out the issue after we have these tested. Never send two injectors in a set be bad, but I'm going to get it taken care of and make it right as I've never seen this happen. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
That's what sets you guys apart

And why I won't ever use anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I don't doubt he will. May be a few days before I can tear it back down. I'm laying in bed right now unable to sleep with muscle spasms in my back from doing them the 1st time. When life catches up to you, it hits you hard.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Ok, got out today and messed with the tuning some because I'm still not up to going back in it yet. When cold 1 & 7 look horrible, but if you add some rail pressure they straighten back out, but go beyond about 100mpa, and 1, 4, & 6 go out while 7 comes down great. So I took it out and got it good and hot(it's tough to find hills in Florida, but I have 2 close by), came back, took some notes on what rail psi brought them into spec the closest as I see these things are VERY sensitive to rail psi. I found that 35 mpa(stock for federal lb7) yielded the closest pulse widths. I ended up adding 5% in from from 10 down and 5% in the 20 row to get the fuel rates in spec at 35 mpa(roughly 8 idling in nuetral and 12-13 in gear), and the balance rates are COMPLETEY different. Now I'm +/- 1.6 or so in park, and +/-3(except #7, it's up around 3.2) idling in gear a/c off. If I add in some rail pressure, #7 comes down, but then 4&6 go up. I will say though after playing with the tune some, it is MUCH smoother now off idle or when the balance rates 0 out. So for now I'm glad I didn't tear back into it, and I'm gonna go with it.

From what I'm finding from my testing is the stock pulsewidth tables and even the lly tables are crap for the lb7 sac combo. I need to add in pulsewidth for the lower fuel pressures, but anything over roughly 40mpa needs to have pulsewidth pulled out. I will say I aint never heard my turbo spool before like it does now. I'm gonna keep an eye on them and see if they change, but I can live with the way it is right now.

Attachments

• 0102171742a.jpg
    0102171742a.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 0102171742.jpg
    0102171742.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 80

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm glad to hear the results your finding on the injectors! Please keep me informed and get some miles on those injectors. I will always help you out and make sure your taken care of here at LDS. That's what separates us from others.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I can't believe the difference I seen by adjusting a few tables. I had not great numbers as I 1st posted to not that bad now. I will say the advise I received on facebook about turning rail up to 6k and pulling 10% was a BAD bit of advice. I'd hate to see how touchy the pedal would be set like that. My fuel rates and balance rates looked so bad set like that, I didn't even drive it. Based off of what I've learned from logging and testing, right around 40-50 mpa of pressure the fuel tables are pretty close to 20mm3 of fuel, below that point they need pulse ADDED in, but above that point they need it pulled out. The lly tables may match the flow sheet after a 20% correction, but reality was quite different. I ended up using a lly pilot timing table and rail pressure table(slightly modified), and took care of the grey smoking in the mid range.

All I can say is, HOLY SHIT! These things spool a turbo like nobodies business. I went from a 2250 pw at 60% timing, to an 1800 at 50%, and it pulls SO MUCH HARDER now you wouldn't believe it's the same truck. I'm going to completely rework my bade file off of what I've learned so I can get my throttle control back as these things at idle flow less, but just off idle they spike up and pour the coal on. I should have played with the tuning 1st.