S&B intake & LBZ inlet elbow on 71mm Cheetah WOW

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
To start, my mods can be found in my sig, except up until tonight I was running a stock LLY airbox (cut out the front of the box, the plastic behind the headlight and the fender to get more air) and turbo inlet elbow. With my 71mm Cheetah, 45% injectors and LBZ CP3 I had rough tuning (thanks Larry for the boost and vane tables) on it for a week and was working out the kinks little by little. I ran a handful of 12.8s with it and was only seeing 36PSI of boost and was burying the pyro (1600*) quick and leaving a haze down the track. Tonight I installed the LBZ turbo inlet elbow and my custom Diesel Addiction edition LBZ S&B intake. I cut out the area under the box like an LBZ has but didn't cut the box at all. On the way home from Winston's it finally split to 2 lanes after being stuck behind a slow van for miles and I rolled into the throttle - the boost shot to 35 quick and then by the time I got to 75% throttle boost was at 50 PSI and I let out of it (still have a stock bottom end). The rest of the way home I was having fun watching the boost gauge - it hits 40 as soon as you give it a little pedal and if you give it a good bit of pedal it shoots to 46 and holds it until you give it more then it goes to 50 depending on RPM. The top end has opened up so much it's ridiculous - I was slowing to 45mph then rolling into and watching the boost and EGT gauges for a few seconds while being pinned pretty good in the seat then look back at the speedo and I would be at 90.

Now for the awesome EGT news - like I said before it would bury 1600* quick. Tonight I would roll into it and watch boost vs EGT - at a steady 40psi it held 1000*; 45psi gave me almost 1200*; cruising it dropped from 700+* before to 500-550* now depending on speed; and in a flat out WOT throttle run it got up to 1400* and then dropped to just over 1300* and held it. This is all on the same exact hot tune that was only getting 36psi max and burying the pyro quick. I need to play around tomorrow to see how much it cleaned up my smoke. I did one 4WD boosted launch and it held 46psi and felt alot faster than my 12.8 runs - it kept me pinned the whole time, not just off the line. I can see it doing 12.60 or better now. In 2WD you can forget traction up to 50mph - it spools and just lights the tires up, if you catch it at the right RPM it will light em up at 60mph with no downshift. Now it's time to talk to Larry about a drive pressure gauge setup so I can get it tuned to be as effecient as possible and I'm looking into race version log style headers and up-pipes to see what kind of gains they'll give me in effecient power.

It wasn't showing up good in the dark with the flash but here is what S&B etched in the lid (without the website):
Complete$20Name$20$26$20Logo.jpg

Attachments

• P1030032.jpg
    P1030032.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 56
  • P1030035.jpg
    P1030035.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 104

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
That's awesome news. I really need to buy one of these!!

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I saw a LLY inlet for the first time in person the other day and....WOW:eek: They are much smaller than the LBZ. Thats crazy that it made that big of a difference:eek: Looks like you found what was holding her back:D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Both I guess Jason. As soon as she gets into the 12's on the stocker, something else is getting bolted on.

Been thinking that maybe I should start buying parts to build a motor as well.....

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
What tune are you running and what kind of 60's are you cutting? We have a customer with about the same mods (minus the lift kit and tires but with a SC IV) and I'm going to see how deep in the 12s I can get him.

But yeah I was in shock when I saw the boost gauge shoot up to 50 psi on a tune that was maxing out at 36 and the EGT drops were amazing as well. That LLY inlet elbow is like breathing through a straw compared to the LBZ's

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
What tune are you running and what kind of 60's are you cutting? We have a customer with about the same mods (minus the lift kit and tires but with a SC IV) and I'm going to see how deep in the 12s I can get him.

I am running some custom Team Salad Tuning that has been tweaked by a couple different members here. I think my best 60 was 1.84 with a soft launch at like 10psi boost.

As soon as I make the 12's, I'm gonna focus on sled pulling though I think. I will drag race vicariously through Simon in the '01-unless he lets me drive it if we ever get it running.:D

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Air box

I had the same problem on mine. I mod. the air box and seen the same thing. By chance did you figure it out on your own or did Brayden say something to you? Jeff

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I've really enjoyed having the lbz inlet with the Banks LBZ CAI, The scoop had to be modified to fit with the larger tires and ranchhand bumper though :D

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
I read the Killer Bee's thread HERE; you can read about the effeciency gains everyone esle has seen with this mod. I bought the LBZ inlet elbow long before the Cheetah was ordered but I was waiting to get our Diesel Addiction logo finished so that I could have S&B lazer etch it in the cover for us and finally got it all on last night after driving with the Cheetah for a week (and racing at 2 tracks on 2 different nights) on the stock box.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
I need to get new pictures up of the truck with it lowered, rear wheels spaced 2" and the plow mount and step bars off of it. I'll be installing a roll pan, making a hitch that's hidden behind it, removing my mudflaps and having the paint touched up that the mudflaps rubbed soon and will get pics after that. But thanks!

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
WOW, huge differences!! Wish my EGTs would stay below 1400*..

Lot of good info in the induction thread! KB has assembled a "kit" that addresses the issues in it.

Check it out HERE.

jrad12381

May 12, 2008
Reno, NV
To start, my mods can be found in my sig, except up until tonight I was running a stock LLY airbox (cut out the front of the box, the plastic behind the headlight and the fender to get more air) and turbo inlet elbow. With my 71mm Cheetah, 45% injectors and LBZ CP3 I had rough tuning (thanks Larry for the boost and vane tables) on it for a week and was working out the kinks little by little. I ran a handful of 12.8s with it and was only seeing 36PSI of boost and was burying the pyro (1600*) quick and leaving a haze down the track. Tonight I installed the LBZ turbo inlet elbow and my custom Diesel Addiction edition LBZ S&B intake. I cut out the area under the box like an LBZ has but didn't cut the box at all. On the way home from Winston's it finally split to 2 lanes after being stuck behind a slow van for miles and I rolled into the throttle - the boost shot to 35 quick and then by the time I got to 75% throttle boost was at 50 PSI and I let out of it (still have a stock bottom end). The rest of the way home I was having fun watching the boost gauge - it hits 40 as soon as you give it a little pedal and if you give it a good bit of pedal it shoots to 46 and holds it until you give it more then it goes to 50 depending on RPM. The top end has opened up so much it's ridiculous - I was slowing to 45mph then rolling into and watching the boost and EGT gauges for a few seconds while being pinned pretty good in the seat then look back at the speedo and I would be at 90.

Now for the awesome EGT news - like I said before it would bury 1600* quick. Tonight I would roll into it and watch boost vs EGT - at a steady 40psi it held 1000*; 45psi gave me almost 1200*; cruising it dropped from 700+* before to 500-550* now depending on speed; and in a flat out WOT throttle run it got up to 1400* and then dropped to just over 1300* and held it. This is all on the same exact hot tune that was only getting 36psi max and burying the pyro quick. I need to play around tomorrow to see how much it cleaned up my smoke. I did one 4WD boosted launch and it held 46psi and felt alot faster than my 12.8 runs - it kept me pinned the whole time, not just off the line. I can see it doing 12.60 or better now. In 2WD you can forget traction up to 50mph - it spools and just lights the tires up, if you catch it at the right RPM it will light em up at 60mph with no downshift. Now it's time to talk to Larry about a drive pressure gauge setup so I can get it tuned to be as effecient as possible and I'm looking into race version log style headers and up-pipes to see what kind of gains they'll give me in effecient power.

It wasn't showing up good in the dark with the flash but here is what S&B etched in the lid (without the website):
Complete$20Name$20$26$20Logo.jpg

Sounds awesome! Just curious did you see much of a fuel mileage change when you added the larger nozzles, and the cheetah? Have you had a chance to do any dyno runs yet with this setup?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
Haven't done any dyno runs and my fuel mileage is still about the same - maybe a little better than before. I did run it at the track last night with the same exact tuning and truck setup that I ran 2 weeks ago on the stock intake and inlet. With stock I had a best of 12.85 @ 104 with a handful of other 12.8X runs. Last night I ran 2 back to back 12.53 @ 107 runs my first runs of the night. I was shocked to get .32 seconds and 3 mph out of an intake upgrade :eek: Wish I would have done it before I did the turbo and injectors, I could have had a stock motor LLY in the 12s.

I didn't get to keep playing with my tuning last night because I was busy getting a customer's LBZ in the 12s. He has a Diesel Addiction SC IV, 1054, T-case brace, spring clamps, sleeves and center-link, 5" exhaust and transmission and engine tuning by me. He ran a 12.95 @ 101; that's right completely stock fuel system - no lift pump, shim kit, or race valve.

jrad12381

May 12, 2008
Reno, NV
How much do you feel you have left on the tuning on your setup? Do you feel you can break into the 11's on diesel only?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
With tuning I think I might be able to get it down to 12.4s pretty easy, but this tune I have now is running awesome. If I mod my CP3 or get a wicked diesel CP3 a I could get more. Cheater slicks will probably be next and I'm looking into the race version log headers and up-pipes. I can't launch any harder or I sit and spin all 4 without moving more than a few feet. I'm still on stock bottom end and don't really want to do the CP3 and add more fuel right now. But I could see 11s with cheater slicks, headers, up-pipes, and some more tuning. It won't get sprayed until after it's built - if ever.