LLY: Running straight pipe without programmer??

DMax_Bella

Jan 29, 2014
Flagstaff, Az
Hey guys new to diesel. Got a 04 lly love it so far but it is bone stock and thinking of putting straight pipe 5" exhaust after replacing turbo mp.
Question is will I have any problems running straight pipe without a programmer?? I have searched and can't seem to find a straight answer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ya some do some don't. I would plan on getting a EGR code. IIRC if you don't want a programmer a Finger Stick will block the CEL.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
I didn't get any codes when I had exhausts on either my 04.5 LLY or my 05 LLY when running 100% stock tuning.

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
I don't have a programmer and am running 4" straight pipe just so I didn't have to deal with a code throwing with a 5" don't know how much of a difference 4 vs 5 is tho either

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I didn't get any codes when I had exhausts on either my 04.5 LLY or my 05 LLY when running 100% stock tuning.

You probably had a code, but no SES light. And there are SEVERAL different emissions calibrations for LLY's. I have tuned a few now all Florida trucks, and some have thrown an EGR codes and others haven't with straight piped exhaust. When I looked at teh tune file you could see very different emissions system in each truck, yet these were all Florida bought trucks. So it's a crap shoot wether it will code or not, and if it codes it's still a crap shoot wether or not it will turn on the SES light. Same way with LBZ's.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
You probably had a code, but no SES light. And there are SEVERAL different emissions calibrations for LLY's. I have tuned a few now all Florida trucks, and some have thrown an EGR codes and others haven't with straight piped exhaust. When I looked at teh tune file you could see very different emissions system in each truck, yet these were all Florida bought trucks. So it's a crap shoot wether it will code or not, and if it codes it's still a crap shoot wether or not it will turn on the SES light. Same way with LBZ's.

You are correct. I should have been more specific. I did get a code when using my V2 but didn't get a SES on my 05. Didn't even get a code on my 04.5

rivergoer

Feb 8, 2014
SO CAL
it shouldnt as long as you delete it after you put cat back on. i used to have to put cat on return to stock tune hide programmer and pull egr blocker then delete codes to get it tested.. now i said screw it and i reg it in AZ with veterans plates to my vacation house.. if i get pulled over i show my military id and az id with ca dl and i dont get botherd about the reg not being ca. knock on wood i havnt had that problem yet. these emisions on our trucks suck ass. and 75 bucks for them to hook up a bull shit scanner and rap the throttle a few time. yeah joke..

rivergoer

Feb 8, 2014
SO CAL
No problem man... looks like you preety much have my set up there except GMC. hahah sme year miles and well i pull a 5 er toy hauler with about that same amount of angle hahaha. where do you go to the dez at? im in temecula and go to ocotillo,north shore and johnsons all the time.

rivergoer

Feb 8, 2014
SO CAL
awesome dude! we have a house on shell beach i can see pismo dunes from my patio so we just tow a quad or rhino down there sometimes. we should hook up for a couple beers some day when im back.

rivergoer

Feb 8, 2014
SO CAL
if you keep an eye out in temecula you will probably see my truck running around. it has a shell on right now and it has f word indudstries stickers on it. unless my wife pulled them off..