Royal Purple Special Govt. Formula

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
So I went to go get an oil change on my dad's truck today near Canutillo, TX (As you can imagine, this is close to the boarder). So, while waiting I noticed a drum of Royal Purple and asked the guy there where he ordered it from. He told me from corporate, then he said that it was a special formula specifically designed for the Border Patrol. There was a code on the side of the drum that read "USBP" (United States Border Patrol). He said that since they leave their vehicles running 24-7 and beat the hell out of them that they need that special blend. Also told me that we couldnt order it, even from their website. I looked and sure enough there was no USBP mention at all. But that I could buy it from him. I think I'm going to try it out next time I get a change. Anyone else heard of this?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Ah...I forgot about this thread.....I looked into this awhile back....

Thers 2 reasons. one is All federal agencies, and all state and local government agencies and contractors that use federal funds to purchase such products, are required to implement a preference program favoring the purchase of re-refined oil to the maximum extent practicable. The EPA guidelines recommend that engine lubricating oils, hydraulic fluids and gear oils contain a minimum of 25 percent re-refined oil in the base-stock.

The Govt. also made contracts with oil producers and the oil is manufactured in bulk at a "price" per the contract.

The oil is the same, only its labeled for inventory and tax purposes for the manuf....

Last edited:

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
if what you say is correct, they are holding that product for the gov't, if he gives you/sells you that oil it is theft of gov't property, could lead to fancy - shiny braclets. epa has new requirements for oils, hence change in grading, to reduce heavy metal/particulate emissions from additive package, that is what i was refering to, gov't can get waiver/exemptions. that is why i said check part number and not name(nomenclature) on barrel. if that oil was purchased by gov't it would be at their facility or secured. if vehicles run 24/7/365 might have less additive package also, start-up is time of most normal scuffing to engine components. example of gov't exemptions; hydraulic fluid for turbine engines has fire supresents added, contact with human skin can cause bad effects if not death.

SS8UUP

Mar 19, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I've seen all the drums sitting out by the shop but didn't realize it was a different formula, I'll take a closer look tomorrow and get a pic of the label if I remember and have the time.

The trucks definitely see a lot of use, it may only go 100 miles during a shift but its going to stay running at least 9 hours at a time. some of the '08s already have 45K miles on them

SS8UUP

Mar 19, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
Took a couple pics, havent had time to check into the specifics of the blend yet though.

rp1.jpg

rp2.jpg