LB7: Rough idle. White smoke. Turbo won't spool.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Guys, a little history.

2001 LB7, new injectors, new head gaskets, new trans. Truck has ran flawlessly for several weeks. Blast to drive. Today while getting into I noticed a jerking/bumping in the engine immediately let out of it drove back home. Truck smokes white when you rev it, turbo doesn't even spool up, and has a bad shake at idle. No smoke while idling, only when revved. Popped off the oil cap, no crankcase pressure at all. I haven't checked the balancer, pulled on it for wiggle yet. But what am I looking at? Broke crank, busted piston, or hung injector? There are no codes, no SES, no knocking or noises. Just a bad miss.

Two weeks ago the truck did throw a large fuel leak detected code while horsing on it. Cleared that and never came back. I'm going to hook efi live to it tomorrow to check balance rates.

I'm really hoping this is just a hung injector!! At this point I'm tired of messing with this truck I just want it back running.

What do you guys think? Truck had 280k on it.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Turbo is spinning but doesn't spool up. Would a hung injector cause a code though?? Or cause the turbo to be sluggish?

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
lb7s are dinosaur technology they don't code quite as easy as some of the newer stuff. A hung injector will cause the white smoke. Never seen one cause a dead miss. normally just the knocking/smoking. you could pull glow plugs and see how they look and look for any wet ones.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Sounds to me like you have no rail pressure. Lb7 won't throw a low rail code most times. That large leak detected is somewhat similar but I don't really know what the parameters are for the code to activate. Other than it doesn't see the rail pressure it wants so instead of "low rail pressure during power enrichment" like newer trucks Sometimes the 01s (possibly all lb7s, but for some reason I think only 01 trucks have that code enabled.) Get "large leak detected". You may have multiple issues. I'd check rail pressure. It's probably way low. Are the injectors Bosch remans? It may have an injector pinned open. Normally that gives a knock though. Or maybe valves weren't adjusted quite right and a rocker bridge came off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Well I don't know what in doing wrong, but my balance rates are 0.00 for a cylinders. Rail pressure is following desired.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Number 8 is plugged up. Motor has a dead miss. No codes though. Some white smoke when I rev it a little. No crankcase pressure. Pop the oil cap off and place my hand over it, no pushing at all.

If it was a cracked piston Id have a lot of oil and air spraying out of the filler cap, correct?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Yes, if you cracked a piston you'd have a ton of pressure coming out of the oil fill. I've seen an LBZ blow the oil fill cap off and blow oil all under the hood.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
is it possible you broke the crank at it is enough out of time that it contacted the valves and bent the pushrods. it could be.