rough idle "kinda"

jjcrss

Aug 4, 2014
San Antonio TX
Since ive had my truck ive noticed that the idle isnt really "smooth". Its not enough to even make the rpm needle move but you can hear it. Someone told me that it could be an issue with the mass airflow sensor or the crankshaft sensor. Is this normal, is there a test i can do to check the parts?

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
could be many things...

High balance rates on even a single injector can make the truck idle rough too, as well as the fca sticking, cp3 pump being bad, the list goes on. Do you have access to diagnostic equipment?

jjcrss

Aug 4, 2014
San Antonio TX
No, im gonna take it and get it looked at this week. I have an extra motor so it's not a big deal. Its just bothering the hell out of me because i can hear it everytime its running.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If it is like a slight idle lope, then try running some 2 cycle oil with your fuel and see if it helps. It is fairly common for the regulator to get sticky as it wears, and cause an idle lope. 2 stroke oil helps to allow it to move better and clear up the lope.

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
Mine does the same thing. Just a very slight weird idle. I think i'm the only one who even notices it. Lol

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
yea mine does it and it seems like it is getting worse... let me know how you figure out. mine is like "rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle-vroom-rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle-vroom"

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Mine lopes and I'm fairly certain its the 175k+ mile regulator on the CP3 causing it. My CP3 is weak too so I'm trying to hold out until I can afford the whole shooting match and tackle that buried project at once.

The 2-cycle will decrease it but it won't go away completely. Its worth running regardless though.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I used to do a 20oz bottle to a fill-up which was around 20-22 gals depending on how low I let it get.

Then I got lazy and just used one of those little bottles from lawn&garden for weed eaters, lawnmowers & chain saws. Think they're 2 or 4 oz ea?

IIRC from the study that was done on the use of 2-cycle in diesel as an additive, it only needed to be like 100:1 ratio to increase the lubricity to an effective range. IDK if more is better or not. It won't hurt though.

I believe it has a cleaning aspect to it too and if you've never ran it before, it may clean out the fuel tank and lead to a plugged fuel filter more quickly? :confused: I never had that issue when I first started using it though.

This is all from the deep cobwebs in my memory and may be off a little here and there. Maybe someone can back it up or correct it where I got it wrong.

Last edited:

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Mine is the same way, but the downpipe and straight pipe don't help.

Even my neighbor noticed the idle rev WHILE his Chevelle was running.......pretty disappointing

brakeshoe

Nov 11, 2014
Rough idle, kinda

My 04 did that for a while and recently on the highway it lost power big time, 45mph was about all, sounded like an old Dodge diesel. Made it to the dealership and even though they were swamped they hovered over it and did a scan. It came up that a connection for the turbo was bad, $450 to replace connections.... 2 wks. out too. So with a little persuasion I got their diesel mech. to show me where the connection was and to unplug it and reconnect... It worked.. the eng. light went out and it ran great, no miss.
They said it wouldn't last though, and they were right, one day after my appointment that I canceled the week before:mad: So for the next week or so I kept unplugging it and sprayed ele. cleaner and die ele. grease to the same results.. run for a day or two and then power out.. Then last wkend a buddy who works in a truck garage was up for the deer hunt and told me that they use a sand blaster to the connections at work to fix this.. So far so good. Now wondering if I should cancel my next appt. this Friday ! The plug is located behind the ground connection box under the hood on my 04. It helps to remove the bracket for the ground box too.

Anyone know about this ?

thanks

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
2 stroke oil will reek havoc on your balance rates,thet'l go from bad to worse with worn injectors.I did 5 injectors 1 at a time in a 2 month period so do your self a favor and just do them all...once.