RIP lml cp4

Tater1

Oct 9, 2017
Driving down road today and truck dies instantly. Luckily I was close to home. Hooked scanner up and no rail pressure. So I guess cp4 has died. 130k miles. Just deleted emissions a month ago with a h&s tuner. Anyway considering doing the injectors, pump, rails, lines, lift pump myself. I have the capabilities and resources to tackle it.... I think. Any advice? Horror stories?
Thanks

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Check your factory fuel filter and make sure you do not have a leak first. I had one of my 2013's die leaving the driveway. V2 showed no rail. Hit the primer button and found the filter leaking around the oring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tater1

Oct 9, 2017
Hey thanks. Forgot to mention it's a 2012. And I replaced the whole filter base /pump assembly. No luck.

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
You can clean the rails and high pressure lines, fuel supply and return line to the tank.
Drop tank, flush it out for any debris in it.
You’ll have to buy and replace the injector return assembly as well.
Check for debris on the regulator before going and tearing it all apart, unless you are going to do a swap anyways.

Job isn’t all that hard, it’s harder deciding what size pump and sticks you want to run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tater1

Oct 9, 2017
So if I pull regulator and it's clean? Then what? Gonna pull it in the morning.

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
Check the wire harness for frays and or rub throughs. Prone at the ecm where the harness is next to the frame, over and behind the ac and alt areas as well.

Tater1

Oct 9, 2017
Which regulator should I pull? I understand there's one on top of the pump and one on the fuel rail? I really appreciate the help

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
If you have the egr out reach in and pull the pump.
The one on the rail after you confirm metal debris on the pump, that would give you an idea how far the metal traveled.
I don’t want to be the bearer of worse news, but if your going to swap the IP for a cp3 you’ll have to invest in efi or EzLynk as a tuning platform.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Buy the LML cp4 fail kit. Comes with 8 injectors,cp4 and both rails. I personally would replace all high pressure lines and return lines. At 28000 psi metal can get stuck to the lines. Would not risk it over what it cost.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
I wouldn't put another cp4 in it especially since you'll have the whole thing apart. Peace of mind knowing you won't be doing it again is worth the cp3 conversion.

Tater1

Oct 9, 2017
Took it to a local shop. He says there is no rail pressure cranking. Unplugs the regulator and it goes to 31k psi. How does it make that much pressure if the pumps bad?

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I have one that's tripped a p0087 and when logging rail psi at wot, desired is 29k but actual around 24-25k, this truck only has 78k miles, it is deleted and running an Air Dog, time for a cp3 conversion?

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
If you end up needing the pump/injectors and rails we have a full kit here at a killer price! Let me know if i can help.

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
I have one that's tripped a p0087 and when logging rail psi at wot, desired is 29k but actual around 24-25k, this truck only has 78k miles, it is deleted and running an Air Dog, time for a cp3 conversion?

Have you checked the regulator on the fuel rail for debris ? Any type of debris will fail the regulator and cause it to stay open longer than required tripping the code for low fuel pressure.

Then there’s the basics with the rubber on the fuel supply lines, and the fuel basket in the tank collecting garbage in the screen.

If you find debris on the regulator, you can assume the worse with the cp4.