Reusable bolts?

cwest32

Feb 10, 2019
I am rebuilding my 2011 LML Duramax and I am receiving mixed information about which bolts are reusable. I know the connecting rod bolts are not supposed to be reused what else? Thanks

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Head, mains, flywheel, converter, cam, crank ect. You can probably be fine with the damper and cam bolts if they are keyed. I would even to do injector hold down and rocker shafts just to save some possible headaches.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Head, mains, flywheel, converter, cam, crank ect. You can probably be fine with the damper and cam bolts if they are keyed. I would even to do injector hold down and rocker shafts just to save some possible headaches.
But I heard of a guy who told another guy that he new of a person that reused any bolts without any problems ! If it was you or someone very competent that you know, that last torqued the non TTY bolts , you might get away with reusing them if you must ! Good list of recommended bolts to change by the way !

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
To tell you guys the truth, other than the fact I have head studs and main studs, I reused everything else and it has made it 40k since then. No sure I would recommenced it as the way to go, but in a tight spot it worked.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Guy did a bunch of testing and even posted in here how many times you can cycle the “tty” bolts the engine uses. I’ll see if I can find it. The only TTY ones I reuse are the flywheel and balancer bolt unless specified otherwise.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This thread definitely belongs in Engine Building. Good info to have in general.

I guiltily admit I reused my rod bolts on my build....but 9 years, 60,000 miles and pushing 575hp for a while they seem to be holding fine. ;)