Retiring SCTA operations.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Well, the time has come to pull the plug on our SCTA racing.

Our racing has always been "multi-format", we like to do all kinds of racing. But SCTA racing is "all or nothing".

Technically, "Casper" was never legal for SCTA racing:

1) We did not have an engine swap, non-factory supercharging, or a quick change axle. This is technically required, but not enforced.

2) We have more than one computer controlling the truck operation. You are only allowed to have an engine computer. Again, this is technically required but not enforced.

With the rules banning glass windows and engine coolant, it is not realistic to run a street legal vehicle in the SCTA anymore.

Casper should appear back at the dragstrip soon I hope, and perhaps the Silver State Classic or other forms of racing.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
That make's me sad. Bonneville is an amazing place.

A few years back, I got hooked up with a blown, flathead street roadster crew and have been hooked ever since. I've done nothing but think about running a Duramax out there since that first time I went.

I always enjoyed seeing your Bonneville posts/threads/information. :beer

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yes, Bonneville is something every gearhead needs to experience IMO. We had a blast!!!

If you ever want to field a Bonneville entry, let me know, and I will help as much as I can.

First, start with an S-10. It will go about 50mph faster than a real truck can.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
We might run the Mohave Mile in the future. They have more realistic rules for late model vehicles. You can even rule coolant in your street car! And 4x4 is legal, whereas the SCTA does not.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
If you ever want to field a Bonneville entry, let me know, and I will help as much as I can.

First, start with an S-10. It will go about 50mph faster than a real truck can.

I appreciate that. Maybe one day. I remember seeing some things about you having piston melting issues. Did you ever figure out a solution for that?

But I agree about the rules in general, they definitely do not support technology or change, which makes running anything newer difficult.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I appreciate that. Maybe one day. I remember seeing some things about you having piston melting issues. Did you ever figure out a solution for that?

But I agree about the rules in general, they definitely do not support technology or change, which makes running anything newer difficult.

I'd rather run steel pistons if I were to continue to do LSR. There's a big difference from running a 1/4 mile or a sledpull from standing it for miles.

It's certainly one of the main reasons we stopped.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
I'd rather run steel pistons if I were to continue to do LSR. There's a big difference from running a 1/4 mile or a sledpull from standing it for miles.

It's certainly one of the main reasons we stopped.

I remembered seeing you post about that and your interest in the monotherms because of it, I had a feeling that was a big factor.

That's a pretty big hurdle to overcome based on the price tag on those things. You would think with being the only production Duramax out there, you could get a sponsorship on them or something. Especially with your track record.

Wouldn't you have similar issues running in something like Silver State running wide open for extended periods of time? I'd love to see a Duramax out running that though.

I get excited in the pants just thinking about a Big Red-esque Duramax. :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The Silver State has different Tech Speeds, which you cannot exceed. So your engine isn't at full power very long. Only in Unlimited class can you run full blast. I wouldn't run unlimited.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Naw, just changing gears.

:thumb:

When Casper was SCTA mode, it wasn't very useful. Removing the SCTA stuff will mean I can actually drive it more often and do more things with it.

Next stop the dragstrip.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Casper was a pioneer in the early years of diesel motorsports... I am glad to see him return to IMNSHO the drag strip. Casper has a 9 second pass he needs to make

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Here I thought you have retired from all forms of racing seeing who you've been in a drier spot then a 90 year old man in a all men's convalescing home!

When people ask me I tell them you've quit ! I'll still be a skeptic as it's been two years since any results have been posted from team Mcrat!

Naw, just changing gears.

:thumb:

When Casper was SCTA mode, it wasn't very useful. Removing the SCTA stuff will mean I can actually drive it more often and do more things with it.

Next stop the dragstrip.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Here I thought you have retired from all forms of racing seeing who you've been in a drier spot then a 90 year old man in a all men's convalescing home!

When people ask me I tell them you've quit ! I'll still be a skeptic as it's been two years since any results have been posted from team Mcrat!

That's my fault :eek: Been dealing with my foot for about that long. My hubby loves me and won't go racing without me :hug:

Just got the cast cut off today :happy2: Still can't walk or drive for another week though:(

Attachments

• 530825_4825080872723_1629244442_n (1).jpg
    530825_4825080872723_1629244442_n (1).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 59

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
That's my fault :eek: Been dealing with my foot for about that long. My hubby loves me and won't go racing without me :hug:

Just got the cast cut off today :happy2: Still can't walk or drive for another week though:(

Well duh he can't go racing without the driver :poke: