Removing Glow Plug controller

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I am going to be deleting the glow plugs and would like to remove the glow plug controller and wiring to clear off more off on top of the motor. Are there any issues with removing the controller? Does it operate or send power to any other system on an LBZ that would need to be re-routed after removal?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I thought I remember there being some injector information programmed into the GPCM. I'm not sure it will run without it, but I could very well be wrong.

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
Didn't Pat run into some problems with Casper when he swapped to Lbz because of the glow plug controller? I might be wrong though

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I guess I should have looked into this further before I ordered delete plugs. :mad:
Deleting the glow plugs shouldn't be a problem. What I'm questioning is if the truck will run without the control module.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Last year when I deleted my glow plugs I also deleted the glow plug controller. It will run without it, but for reasons that I can't remember I put the controller back on, the little I do remember was I could never get a good log with the controller deleted.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Last year when I deleted my glow plugs I also deleted the glow plug controller. It will run without it, but for reasons that I can't remember I put the controller back on, the little I do remember was I could never get a good log with the controller deleted.

probably because it contains the 120ohm terminator for the HS GMLAN bus...

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
Forgive me but what is the advantage of deleting the glow plugs? Does this not make it harder to start in colder weather and all? Again just trying to learn.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
the big main connection plug on the front of the GPCM (red cable), remove that and truck wont run or start......

Also the Injector flow rates are stored in it...I think once there programed into the ecm that data in not always needed, but I wouldt understand why you really would want to remove it anyway...The GPs can be removed and the wires, but just leave the GPCM it only weighs like 1/2 lb.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
the big main connection plug on the front of the GPCM (red cable), remove that and truck wont run or start......

Also the Injector flow rates are stored in it...I think once there programed into the ecm that data in not always needed, but I wouldt understand why you really would want to remove it anyway...The GPs can be removed and the wires, but just leave the GPCM it only weighs like 1/2 lb.

I would remove mine just for the clutter mike