Relearning TPMS issue

sledjed

Apr 25, 2011
Anyone else having problems relearning TPMS sensor positions on aftermarket wheels? I have a set of Fuel Mavericks that were on the my 15 Denali HD when I bought it. Sensors worked fine when I took them off and put on stock rims with winter tires for the winter. Now put the Fuels back on and can't get the sensors to activate when the truck is in relearn mode. I do have a relearn tool (EL-50448) that I'm using that works great with the stock HD wheels with sensors and works great on my wife's Yukon with both sets of wheels with sensors that I have for it. But for some reason it will not work with the Fuel wheels. I had Fuel wheels on my 08 that I couldn't get to activate with the relearn tool either, but I thought it was more to do with the truck being an 08 and that you had to do it the manual way on those trucks and that it wasn't until 2012 when you needed to use the tool. Now I'm thinking it was the wheels that were the problem then as well, but at least it had the option of doing manually with the air in/out method. Anyone have any tips on how to get these things to activate, I hate having the light on the dash on.

orangeastre

Jan 31, 2014
Nova Scotia
Some of the fuel wheels are drilled for two valve stem holes. The sensors are typically placed in the rear valve opening if this is the case. Check the back of your wheels on the lip.if they are on the back it is possible your relearn tool cannot "see" the sensor because they are too far back. The other problem you could run into is a aftermarket sensor sensor that your tool cannot detect.

Good luck.

sledjed

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks orangeastre. I just had new tires put on 2 days ago and the rims definitely only have the one stem hole. The tire shop confirmed there are sensors but did not relearn them. I didn't think it was a big issue since I have the tool. I do not know weather they are factory or aftermarket sensors. And of course I bought the tires at a shop 500km away from were I live so going back to them for help isnt a great option. Haha. I may have to go to a local shop and have them break the tires down to figure this out unless someone else has any suggestions.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
You might try picking up the sensor from the back side of the wheels with your relearn tool. I've had to do that before with some aftermarket wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
You might try picking up the sensor from the back side of the wheels with your relearn tool. I've had to do that before with some aftermarket wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either that or right at the edge of the rim where it meets the tire. Sometimes it will pick up the signal through the sidewall of the tire easier than thru the rim.

sledjed

Apr 25, 2011
Went to tire shop that sells lots of fuel wheels today. They said they have lots of issues with fuel wheels and tire sensors. They suggested bust down tires and make sure I have gm sensors as they have had better luck with them vs. aftermarket sensors. And if I do have factory gm sensors already they said all I can do is bust down tires every time I need to relearn, get a programmer that will delete tpms or buy different wheels.

sledjed

Apr 25, 2011
I heard you could do it with efi live. But to be honest I personally have no idea. I have no interest in programming this truck so I haven't even looked into what out there does what. I'll buy new wheels before programming.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
You cannot delete TPMS on a GM. You can lower the low tire threshold, but cannot get rid of system at all.

"theoretically" you might be able to reprogram the RCDLR and instrument cluster with dually (or 3500 SRW) software; those trucks dont have TPMS from the factory...Ive never tried it though. GM is making it harder and harder to purposely flash the "wrong" calibrations into trucks.

sledjed

Apr 25, 2011
Sounds complicated. Im definitely not interested in going that route. I'm going to try the gm sensors and if that doesn't work I'll be shopping for new wheels.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
"theoretically" you might be able to reprogram the RCDLR and instrument cluster with dually (or 3500 SRW) software; those trucks dont have TPMS from the factory...Ive never tried it though. GM is making it harder and harder to purposely flash the "wrong" calibrations into trucks.

I've tried this before and it did turn the light off and just made the tire pressures read "--". This was on my dad's ''09 LMM back when I worked at the dealer. However I did not put any miles on it to see if it was a long term fix as my dad is getting up in age and still hauls a backhoe sometimes. Rather his TPMS system work.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I've tried this before and it did turn the light off and just made the tire pressures read "--". This was on my dad's ''09 LMM back when I worked at the dealer. However I did not put any miles on it to see if it was a long term fix as my dad is getting up in age and still hauls a backhoe sometimes. Rather his TPMS system work.

Did you program both the cluster, AND the RCDLR?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Did you program both the cluster, AND the RCDLR?

The RCDLR for sure with entering a VIN of the same year dually application into TIS and selecting no TPMS. I cannot recall if I did the cluster or not. Hence why it may have still shown tire pressures, just not the readout. Again like I said I didn't drive it though to see if the tire light or "Low Pressure" readout would illuminate.

Again it has been a long time since I tried it. And I wasn't trying too hard as I like TPMS. Have really looked into your factory retrofit kits for my '03.

sledjed

Apr 25, 2011
I prefer to have mine work aswell. For the price of these new trucks I don't like it when something doesn't work right. Even if it is something as small as tpms.

sledjed

Apr 25, 2011
So if I bust down the tires and pull them off the rims should I be able to learn the sensors without having the tires on the rim or do the sensors require to be under pressure to activate?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I have programmed flat tires before to double check the sensors' function before mounting a new tire. So yes, i think you can program them at any pressure.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
You should be able to. If a sensor doesn't read you may have to sorta 'shake' it. If I remember correctly the sensors will fall asleep to save battery life until the g-force of the tire spinning wakes them up.

sledjed

Apr 25, 2011
Went to the tire shop today and they learned the sensors no prob with their tool. Seems like the relearn tool I bought from gm isn't that great. But at least I got the light off the dash.