Relearn the trans, what to use

Teamvi

Oct 26, 2011
I have a 05 lly with efilive and built trans with supporting mods. I have a 1058 converter as well.
Was doin some reading about how to do a relearn and was a bit confused, when i installed the suncoast built tranny and converter i did the relearn from my efilive. But from my reading the relearn needs to be done from something else? Is this neccesary? If so would i be able to do it or would a trans shop be able to do the relearn for me and how long does the relearn take

Thanks

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Tech 2 is the best. There will be a slight difference when doing the 5 speed vs 6 speed. A lot of GM techs don't even know this.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you are installing a built transmission, then a full relearn and having the adapts set to fast should be done, and that requires a Tech2 or similar high-end scanner.

If you just used EFILive to do the relearn and have been driving it, at this point, it probably has finished learning just fine. If I understand right, the main difference is EFILive can't set the adapts to fast, so when you make major changes in the trans, the slow adapts can cause excessive wear on the new parts that a fast adapt would have avoided.

If you have just installed the new trans and not driven (or not driven much), then it would probably be worth paying a shop to do the relearn. Should only take them 15 minutes, though they may charge 1/2 to 1 hour minimum, depending on the shop.

Mswoyer

Sep 13, 2016
Colorado
I recently had my truck parked for almost two weeks or so. Trans fluid was really low, popped a line. When I did my repair and topped off my trans it did it's own relearn thing.
The dash commanded me to shift P,D,R or something like that, foot on break Don't think my cheapo HF Centech scanner was involved nor is capable of the task.

Has anyone had their truck dash (not scan tool) prompt them to do the shifting calibration relearn fastlearn thing after a repair (swap,overhaul,build)?
Thanks

Last edited:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I thought a full flash of the tcm would also put it in a fast learn A50 anyways? Since no can do A40 full with efilive wonder if a tech 2 full flash would put it fast learn even though not needed cause you have the fast learn capability anyways with the tech2?

Edit: just saw the op has a 05 I thought a full flash would also put the AL5 controller in fast learn also?

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I thought a full flash of the tcm would also put it in a fast learn A50 anyways? Since no can do A40 full with efilive wonder if a tech 2 full flash would put it fast learn even though not needed cause you have the fast learn capability anyways with the tech2?

Edit: just saw the op has a 05 I thought a full flash would also put the AL5 controller in fast learn also?
A full flash of a 5 speed controller will put it in fast learn. Including the tcc adapts....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What about the A50?
I don't know the answer to that.

I do know that I've never felt the need to do more then simply reset the taps with my tech 2 on anything with a 6 speed Allison.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Bumping this up, just ordered a tech2 and candi module because i'm not sure EFILive is getting the job done for the fast learn. Anyone ever see these change after setting them to fast learn and clearing the taps because they don't on a 5spd with a full flash+clear taps option checked and also clearing all of them with the V7.5 scan tool?

C1 Fast C1 Fast Learn Adapted Volume 0 ci
C2 Fast C2 Fast Learn Adapted Volume 0 ci
C3 Fast C3 Fast Learn Adapted Volume 0 ci
C4 Fast C4 Fast Learn Adapted Volume 0 ci
C5 Fast C5 Fast Learn Adapted Volume 0 ci
A Sol Fast A Solenoid Fast Learn Adaptive Pressure 0 psi
B Sol Fast B Solenoid Fast Learn Adaptive Pressure 0 psi