Recommendations on place to send ecm for reflash?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
If i can dig up my TIS2000 install (I haven't used it in quite some time) and we have VIN from an appropriate truck, I coukd do it with my Tech2... If you have a way to flash an efilive file, i could try to dig up that TIS2000 install, flash the LB7 ECM I have floating around and send you the read...

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
If i can dig up my TIS2000 install (I haven't used it in quite some time) and we have VIN from an appropriate truck, I coukd do it with my Tech2... If you have a way to flash an efilive file, i could try to dig up that TIS2000 install, flash the LB7 ECM I have floating around and send you the read...

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

I just have a locked autocal and very little computer skills

Crappy thing is i need to smog my truck with a cpu that has its vin. Since its a zf6 swap i need a tune for one on the old ecm. the dealer won't put a zf6 tune on my trucks allison tuned ecm. Thankfully when the smog bs is over i can pop my tuned ecm back in.

I guess I'm just too cheap to buy more tuning stuff. I'd really like to get the old girl smogged and legal soon rather than try and learn about efi live. It does sound fun but is for another day

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, I found my old laptop with TIS 2000 and it still works, and I downloaded the file you mentioned in your linked thread and it has a full VIN in it, and according to TIS, the VIN appears to be correct for a ZF6 truck, so flashing an ECM isn't a problem. It's been a while since I've played with an AutoCal, so I'm not sure if they can flash unsecured files, or if they can ONLY flash files that are linked to the same V2 that the AutoCal is linked to.

The only problem I could see would be if your truck originally had an Allison, if we flashed a ZF calibration into your ECM and made sure the ECM also had your trucks actual VIN after flashing the ZF6 calibration, while that calibration would be correct for a ZF6 truck and the VIN in it would match your truck, the calibration wouldn't match what is 'supposed' to be in your truck based on its VIN, so they may still whine. If I'm not mistaken, Cali takes the VIN of the truck and compares the calibrations it reads from the ECM to a database of calibrations that are valid for that VIN, so a ZF6 calibration in a truck that originally had an Allison might not match up with what they say it should have. I could be wrong about that last part though.

What's the actual problem with smogging it? Is it still running a calibration that's expecting an Allison and is throwing a check engine light because of it?

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Can’t you just change the vin with the scan tool and use your autocal as a pass thru?
Can you change a vin and leave a tune alone?I'm a bit lost at this stuff.

My autocal is locked to my donor trucks vin. I'm hoping i can just whip up a smog ecm with the right vin and stock tune.i could use it if i sell my truck too.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Can you change a vin and leave a tune alone?I'm a bit lost at this stuff.

My autocal is locked to my donor trucks vin. I'm hoping i can just whip up a smog ecm with the right vin and stock tune.i could use it if i sell my truck too.

While the tune might be locked to a specific VIN (I believe that's possible), the Autocal itself links to the ECM Serial number, not the VIN. Whether the tune is locked to a VIN or ECM serial number would be a question for your tuner. Assuming the tune isn't locked to the VIN but instead the ECM S/N, then you could download the V7 software and change the VIN with the scan tool (Bidirectional > Change VIN) (The V8 software might be able to do it now too). Worst case, your original ECM could be flashed using either the VIN from your donor truck or the VIN in the file you pointed towards and the VIN Then changed to match your chassis.

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
while that calibration would be correct for a ZF6 truck and the VIN in it would match your truck, the calibration wouldn't match what is 'supposed' to be in your truck based on its VIN, so they may still whine.

What's the actual problem with smogging it? Is it still running a calibration that's expecting an Allison and is throwing a check engine light because of it?
as far as i know the smog station is just looking for the right vin( i hope). It has my donor trucks complete drivetrain including its ecm with the wrong vin so thats an instant fail.

no codes no issues at all which is nice since i smashed up my old parts truck pretty bad

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Good point on the sn versus vin lock cougar.it would be nice if i could just change the vin myself?I talked to tech support about them changing the vin and they said not possible?

I really wish I'd swapped just the motor at first and got it smogged with the allison before gutting it for the rest of the stuff.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Thx.

I deal with smog issues on a daily basis at my shop. With the right tools and info we can get pretty much any duramax to pass smog. If you’re still looking for help give me a call tomorrow morning and I’ll see what I can do to get your squared away.

Rick