Rebuilding gt and gtx turbos

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I'm in need of getting a gtx 4202r and a gt 5541 rebuilt. I've called a few shops that rebuild turbos they do not want to deal with them. I've been told you have to buy a new center sections. They only have 1500 miles on them. Thank you in advance for the help.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Bullseye turbo maybe i'm not sure if they mess with them worth a call.

Is the manufacturer of the oil pump helping you out on the turbos any?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
What happened at only 1500 miles?
Unfortunately the ball bearing garrett turbo's are hard to work on in that components have to be pressed in.
Are the turbine and compressor wheels in good shape?

Yellowchevy

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
If they are not willing to support you on such low usage than it sounds like a better time than ever to go Borg lol.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
The issue I have with swapping out to Borg is all my plumbing is v band welded to this. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine again as well...:(

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
Yes it is custom welded.
picture.php
picture.php
I assume the inlet of your 42 has a custom, v-band?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Chop it off and weld it to the new turbo.

X2, I wouldn't waste the money on those over priced turbos! Not a rebuildable turbo and you have to buy a new cartridge if you have any issues with them. No better time to switch them out for a more cost effective unit. Wish I could help with the Garrett's but when it comes to the ball-bearing units your hosed unfortunately.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
My Bullseye s375 is V-band as well. Like others said, only way to rebuild a Garrett is buy a new CHRA, and they cost almost as much as a new turbo.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
A lot of compressor discharge's are v bands. If you look, his compressor inlets are v band too. Thats what is making it difficult to switch to any other turbos. D & J precision makes a v band conversion flange that clamps to the regular hose inlet on a S400. Probably will not be a direct swap even then...

Last edited: