Rear Bilsteins are shot

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So i need some new rear shocks. Im quite pissed they only lasted 40k. I was a big believer in them till this. Not gunna send them back for "warrenty" as im not gunna sit around for 3-4 weeks without a truck while i wait for bilstein to say "hey, yeah these are shot".

Anyone here a rancho dealer? id like to pick up a set of rear 9000s. part number is RS999297

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
this is good to know after i just put 5100s all round on my truck. Least i only put about 5-6k on my truck a year.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
To bad you just barely missed the promo for ranchos.. I put off buying them too long.

I wound up goin to total auto pros. They had a set off a ford that was 1/2 longer than what i had on the truck. Only had 2k on them and got them for 110 bucks :D

this is good to know after i just put 5100s all round on my truck. Least i only put about 5-6k on my truck a year.

Well honestly they are not bad when they are not blown. I loved the ride, they just didnt last.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I had a set of +2" 5100's last about 8k miles on the front of my truck. One locked up completely and the other blew a seal and pissed oil everywhere.

I will never own another Bilstein product.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
James, im really suprised you did not go for a tougher shock! The bilstiens provide that german handling characteristics that people love, but no suprise here, i have never seen 5100,s go past 50k+. They are designed to fail at this wear level, so you are always running a shock that is in premium condition. You are gonna put, or have already put a shock on your truck that was from/for another manufacturer? It probably wont handle great, the shock is not valved to work with your leaf spring rate, torsion bar rate, or weight of the vehicle James, you know this!!! Why dont you pony up for some FOX shocks, they are even rebuildable!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, im really suprised you did not go for a tougher shock! The bilstiens provide that german handling characteristics that people love, but no suprise here, i have never seen 5100,s go past 50k+. They are designed to fail at this wear level, so you are always running a shock that is in premium condition. You are gonna put, or have already put a shock on your truck that was from/for another manufacturer? It probably wont handle great, the shock is not valved to work with your leaf spring rate, torsion bar rate, or weight of the vehicle James, you know this!!! Why dont you pony up for some FOX shocks, they are even rebuildable!

Adjustable rancho 9000s from a ford f250 use the same valving stack, just a different length shock and eye bolt size (which you change jsut by changing the center steel eyelet out). These already ride 5 times better than my blown bilsteins at lvl 4 on the shocks and i can adjust them more if i feel they have a bit more to give.

At this point, i dont want foxes. if i did i would have bought them, i just choose to put that money elsewhere.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How do you know if a Bilstein shock has reached mechanical failure without any broken parts? I've had mine with Cognitio 4-6" lift for 40k miles and it rides like pure shit.

pull them off and see if they still extend out under the gas that is pressurizing them. if not, they are done. one of mine was this way. the other would do extend out but something in the piston let go cause you could push the shock shaft down waaaay too fast with little effort

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
No complaints here...after owning 5 sets on 5 different vehicles I still love my Bilsteins and would buy again in a heartbeat.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Most of them had 50K on more on the set when it was sold/traded or whatever. You know how I drive...they were well tested. You can't argue that.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Adjustable rancho 9000s from a ford f250 use the same valving stack, just a different length shock and eye bolt size (which you change jsut by changing the center steel eyelet out). These already ride 5 times better than my blown bilsteins at lvl 4 on the shocks and i can adjust them more if i feel they have a bit more to give.

At this point, i dont want foxes. if i did i would have bought them, i just choose to put that money elsewhere.

Lol. I knew you did your homework. I know those fox shocks are expensive, i went with the bilstiens this time around, i want fox shocks again.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I sold my last truck with fox 2.0 emulsion shocks, they had 60k on them and the truck rode better than new still.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Most of them had 50K on more on the set when it was sold/traded or whatever. You know how I drive...they were well tested. You can't argue that.

lol ill agree with ya on that. :rofl:

Lol. I knew you did your homework. I know those fox shocks are expensive, i went with the bilstiens this time around, i want fox shocks again.

to be honest, with the way some of these shocks have come about over the last 10 years, you dont gain much by goin with a fox/king/sway-a-way/rad-flow/F-O-A/ and all the others cause you will never truly see where those shocks shine on a DD that sees mainly street time. At this point thats where my truck is as im done goin out and tearin it up off road, i have other toys for that. It does see dirt from time to time but breakin shit gets expensive on a DD lol.

It will get some fox goodies down the road. maybe sooner than later as an idea has been stuck in my head for some time. alot of things are lined up to get it done, its now a matter of getting the cash to do it all and thats not a big priority with a wedding i need to plan/save for, fix a few things on the toy hauler, get a few things fixed around the house, and finally get my garage together the way i want it.